Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember them today

Remember them today

Please take time today to remember those innocent people and the many, many heroes that gave all on September 11, 2001. I will NEVER forget exactly where I was and what I was doing when the senseless carnage began that day.

To all that have served, and to those that are serving today, I thank you for my freedom and safety. You have NO idea how much that means to me and my family.

Please, take time out to remember the fallen, and may God Bless America!

There is a song and I would copy/paste the lyrics that fits today for me it is called..."Where were you when the world stopped turning", by Alan Jackson. I'd post it except there are a couple of words that might be against the Coc so I'll abstain, but anyone interested can do a search if they have never heard it before.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

As not much of a television watcher, I didn't even know this had happened until the DJ on my favorite radio station said, very calmly, that a plane had hit WTC and he'd keep us updated. Shortly afterward, my best friend called in hysterics from in front of her television to tell me what was going on. I got to my office, turned on the television, and sat there mesmerized for hours--until I could gather myself together enough to drive home. My boss suspended work for two days until he could determine that relatives in lower Manhattan were safe.

Steve, I don't think those two words you might be referring to would be objectionable in this post, as part of a song lyric. Here it is:

EDIT
    The song that Nancy posted has been edited out, it was deemed to be contrary to the CoC that states "No Religion".

Nancy was asked to edit her post, but has refused to do so. According to the rules here at Family Woodworking....

4. If for some reason the original poster is unwilling to edit the post, then with the agreement of three or more Moderators, the post will be edited appropriately and put back in place. In an extreme case, the post could be removed from the thread, but we would hope this would be a very rare exception. For either edited or removed posts, the reason for the action will be noted in the “Reason for editing” field, as well as the names of the Moderators who made the decision.

....... we have now edited Nancy's post.

This is no rash decision, the question has been debated back and forth, long and hard, but a vote was taken, and it was 8 to 1 that the lyrics of the song were "Religious" in nature.
    We do not take editing member's posts lightly, this was a tough call, but that is the job of the moderators here, who are voted into office by the members.

Cecil Arnold, joe blankshain, Matt Dunlap, Robert Schaubhut, Steve Ash, Stuart Ablett, tod evans, Steve Clardy
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 09-13-2007 at 08:22 PM.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Steve, I don't think those two words you might be referring to would be objectionable in this post, as part of a song lyric. Here it is: ( I am not sure of the two words in question but I will highlight those that lean toward One specific religion, as I see it... Shaz )
    EDIT This post has been edited as well, to remove the lyrics of the song that was deemed to be against the CoC.
    Cecil Arnold, joe blankshain, Matt Dunlap, Robert Schaubhut, Steve Ash, Stuart Ablett, tod evans, Steve Clardy

Hi Nancy,
    You have a right to your opinion and that is an important factor in the continuation and growth of a stimulated group. The exact emotion stirred by the circumstances of that day's events will never re-occur. Something just as catastrophic will occur but those feelings will be special to that specific occurance, just as each personal death in my family has had it own individual feeling. The bible and Jesus may or may not have a personal place in my life, but not necessarily in the life of all those who have lost loved ones in this unfortunate event. This being a woodworking forum, trying to maintain some balance between stimulation and consideration for all peoples can be a real juggling act. I will vote for your post to be edited, as per my understanding of the COC i.e. no religion. As always, thank you for your input.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Robert A. Schaubhut
    Woodworking by Shaz
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 09-13-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Robert, I'll respectfully disagree with you... mentioning the name of Jesus or God is not religion. Religion is what man has designed. That being said, I understand the desire/need for "no politics or religion" in the CoC... but I hope that doesn't go overboard to the point where I can't say "God bless you" when you sneeze...

Dear All,

This is a tough one. With moderator elections coming up, people deserve to know the positions of potential mods. Just so everyone knows, I would vote with Shaz on this one.

Thanks,

Bill

Good post Kevin, THANK YOU.

Here's my favorite song about that tragic day.......and I think a few have....

Darryl Worley, HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN

I hear people saying we don't need this war
    I say there's some things worth fighting for
    What about our freedom and this piece of ground?
    We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down
    They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in
    Before you start preaching
    Let me ask you this my friend

CHORUS 1
    Have you forgotten how it felt that day
    To see your homeland under fire
    And her people blown away?
    Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
    We had neighbors still inside
    Going through a living hell
    And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

They took all the footage off my T.V.
    Said it's too disturbing for you and me
    It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
    If it was up to me I'd show it every day
    Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
    After 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right

CHORUS 1
    Have you forgotten how it felt that day
    To see your homeland under fire
    And her people blown away?
    Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
    We had neighbors still inside
    Going through a living hell
    And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

I've been there with the soldiers
    Who've gone away to war
    And you can bet they remember
    Just what they're fighting for

CHORUS 2
    Have you forgotten all the people killed?
    Some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field
    Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?
    All the loved ones that we lost
    And those left to carry on
    Don't you tell me not to worry about Bin Laden
    Have you forgotten?

Have you forgotten?
    Have you forgotten?

Darryl Worley/Wynn Varble, 2003
    Last edited by Barry Stratton; 09-12-2007 at 04:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

It just makes me sad we even have to worry about this.

I'm not offended by a stray comment about {insert the deity of your choice}.

I'd vote we just drop it, let it lie, don't remove, don't continue.....

Sentiments cross all woodworking boundaries, even those that stray into the vortex now and then....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thank you Steve, and the collective moderation group, for restoring this thread. I am sorry this has caused undue grief, but I do appreciate the time the moderators (Stu and Steve) took to contact me personally and keep me informed of the proceedings. IMO, this forum is being run like a forum should be, and my hat's off to you for undertaking a sometimes thankless task.

Moving on...

I remember that day well. I was working for the railroad and I told my crew (I was a supervisor at the time)

"We're going to NYC"

10 days later we arrived and did not leave for 9 months. At the time I ran a very powerful vacuum cleaner that removed debris and mud from the track. It worked very well in the subway tunnels that were filled with choking cement dust that was pulverized as the towers came down.

As you can imagine we worked in the basement of those buildings basically and sucked up some of the debris, conveyed it into a dump car and hauled it back across the river. I think later it was transported over to the Fresh Kills Landfill where teams of people sorted through it.

It was not fun. It was not easy on the crew either. We went through quite a few guys, either through out and out quitting or transfers to other crews in different parts of the country. A few weeks ago I posted a rather hard to write thread about my wife leaving, my parents house burning and my sister being killed in a car accident, all around the same time in 2004. Helping out with the 9-11 incident had its toll as well even though it was a year or so later.

In some ways its great to say my career as a railroader helped this nation in its time of need. That is I had a machine, a crew and a career that could do some good. Mostly though it was a solemn 9 months of railroad work. There was 4 of us on that machine and we would work 12 hour shifts and hardly say anything to each other even though we were 40 feet underground in a rather small tunnel. Even now I don't talk about it.

Here is a picture of the working end of that Railvac as it was called. I have better pics of it, but nothing I can readily link to.

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 09-13-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"