Big Ol' Alder HF

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is more from my alder stash...about 11 1/2 wide by 7 " tall. It's the biggest one I've done to date. Tried something a little different with the mock collar and beaded rim. This wood was pretty soft, and I finally gave up on trying to get crisp details with no tearout. The walls are not super thin (about 1/4") and there's a bit of visible tearout on the inside that I finally gave up on, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

The finish is more Antique Oil and spray Deft lacquer, wet sanded with 600 grit then buffed with the three wheel system, followed with Renaissance Wax. There were a few cracks that I filled with black epoxy putty, but it dried gray. A little touch-up with the extra-fine Sharpie, and it was ready for the Antique Oil.

HF035 - 04 800.jpg HF035 - 03 800.jpg HF035 - 02 800.jpg HF035 - 01 800.jpg

I'm open to comments or critiques. Lemme know what you think.

Thanks guys...here's a little bonus pic to show the scale a bit better:

HF035 - 06 800.jpg

The little walnut guy is about 3 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall.

That is another beauty Vaughn, the wood is really nice, and you certainly have that form down pat :clap:

I'm not crazy about the new neck thing, but maybe it will grow on me...:dunno:

Keep them coming, I need all the ideas I can get! :D :thumb:

That is a beauty, Vaughn. I guess I don't know what alder looks like. I have some planks in the shop that supposedly are alder but they are creamy white in color. Now this piece you post shows alder to be almost an orange in color.
Interesting!

I love the picture of the big ole' mama hollowform with the little baby. Both are very nice.:thumb: