Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffing bowl/etc.

Buffing bowl/etc.

I've never used a buffer to finish my bowls, but picked this up at a sale for $3 and want to turn it into a dedicated buffing machine. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=5493

My question is which type of buffer do most of you use? Just the standard wheels or the bowl/goblet buffers that Beall offers or both? I know I can get a standard wheel buffer on it since it came with a worn out one, but after looking at the bowl/goblet buffers I don't know how they attach? Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 09-12-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: forgot pics

I'd check out Beall's website (http://www.bealltool.com) and look into the adapters they offer. I'd be willing to bet you can find a way to make it work. You might even try emailing them. They may be able to work something out.

I'm a huge fan of the Beall single wheel system. I went for two years without a buffing system thinking "how much difference can it make?" Well, let me tell you... the difference is HUGE. I wouldn't even think about not buffing a finished piece anymore.
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings

Jeff, I've got regular buffing wheels (8" and 6") and 4" bowl buffs, and I use the wheels the majority of the time. I only use the bowl buffs for the insides of smaller bowls the wheels can't reach into. On the other hand, a person could buff insides and outsides with the bowl buffs...it'd just take a little longer, I'd guess. Like Neal said, I suspect the folks at Beall have a way to mount the bowl buffs on your buffer. If you're doing mostly small bowls (6" or smaller), the bowl buffs might be the best way to go. If you're planning to do mostly bigger stuff, I think you'd be happier with wheels first, then bowl buffs later if you decide you need them.

The bigger wheels and bowl buffs I have are a set from Don Pencil...essentially the same as the Beall system, with different buffing wheel fabrics for the different buffing compounds. The smaller wheels I use are cheap flannel wheels I buy at Home Depot and mount on a mandrel on my mini lathe. These wheels are a bit firmer than the bigger ones, so I use the little ones when I want to be more aggressive...like with tripoli on acrylic, removing 600 grit scratches.

I agree bigtime with Neal...machine buffing makes a big difference.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Neal, thanks never thought of emailing Beall.

Vaughn, I'm glad to here the wheels will work for larger bowls. I plan on turning larger stuff in the future. Also good to know that I can start with the cheapo ones from HD.

I finally finished my buffer! Only took me 2yrs!!

I picked up acouple of smaller/inside bowl wheel at HF last week (the ones to the left of the motor. All I did was wire a swtich in, and added some threaded extensions to the motor spindles. The drill chuck makes changing out buffer pads and sanding pads easy. The sanding pads work great to hold a padded sander to finish the bottoms of turnings as well.
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 08-17-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Buffing bowl/ect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTG,Great find.I have more buffing pads than I can count.I have several half round shaped buffing pads that I use in my drill,then I have a set of 8" wheels that I mount in the drill chuck on the lathe,then I have the beal buff system.For a start I would get an 8" wheel on one side for tripoli and a soft wheel for wax on the other side. Good luck

Jeff I have both the bowl buffs and the 8" wheels.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on finally getting it done. Don't know if you already know it, but you should have specific wheels/buffs for each of the buffing compounds you use. In other words, don't use tripoli and white diamond on the same wheel. The standard mix of compounds is tripoli, then white diamond, then wax. Separate wheels for each of the compounds. A lot of folks use carnauba wax for the wax stage, I prefer applying Renaissance wax by hand, but then I buff it to a shine with a soft buffing wheel.

If you're looking for a single "do it all" compound, you might try some of the "PL" compound Don Pencil sells. It seems to be less abrasive than tripoli, but not as soft as white diamond, which is more of a polish than an abrasive (although even the finest polish has some abrasive qualities).

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on finally getting it done. Don't know if you already know it, but you should have specific wheels/buffs for each of the buffing compounds you use. In other words, don't use tripoli and white diamond on the same wheel. The standard mix of compounds is tripoli, then white diamond, then wax. Separate wheels for each of the compounds. A lot of folks use carnauba wax for the wax stage, I prefer applying Renaissance wax by hand, but then I buff it to a shine with a soft buffing wheel.

If you're looking for a single "do it all" compound, you might try some of the "PL" compound Don Pencil sells. It seems to be less abrasive than tripoli, but not as soft as white diamond, which is more of a polish than an abrasive (although even the finest polish has some abrasive qualities).
    Thanks for the info Vaughn. I've just been using applying paste wax after the oil finish drys. I put the wax on by hand let it dry a little and then buff it out. I've heard Renaissance wax works better, so I might pick some up soon.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff, are you using any buffing compounds (tripoli, white diamond) before applying the wax? If not, you're in for a very big smile the first time you see how they improve things.

workingwoods.com