Interested in Carving

Allen Grimes

Since carving was brought up in that other thread, I just can't stop thinking about it, so now I have some questions for those of you in the know.

What are some good starter tools for one who wants to get into carving, in his spare time? By starter tools I don't mean cheap throw away tools, I mean quality tools, but I nice simple set of all around tools.

Also brand recommendations would be nice if you have them. If anybody has a pre-made starter set for sale that you think is good, that would be helpful also.

Aside from that, what woods would you recommend for someone who is a beginner?

Me too! I have developed a hankering for carving and will be interested to get some expert opinions on a good starter set. Maybe brands won't work so well because of location but I would really like some guidance on a starting set of fighting irons!

I have the Swiss tools from Woodcraft, Pfeil I think they are, and some Dastra Woodscrew tools; also some Flexcuts. I prefer the Flexcut...very comfortable in the hand and I like the flex in the steel shaft of the chisels.

It was brought up on page 4 of the accidents and stitches thread.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I will look them up.

A good guy to get started with . . .

and isn't going to try and sell you a lot from the get go is Mr. Dallas Deege. He runs Texas Woodcarvers shop . com or something like that. He teaches and has got everything from beginer to expert. He also sharpens my plane blades as I'm not allowed to ! Stand up guy !

it`s been my experience that most folks who take up carving either choose phiel or two-cherries tools...i think phiel is a bigger seller here in the usa?
i like and use german steel (two-cherries), for me they seem to hold an edge longer.....for those looking to get started, learning to sharpen your tools is the single most dificult aspect of learning to carve, i can sharpen but after umpteen years i`m still learnin`:eek:.....carving like most aspects of woodworking is something a person can work on for their entire life and maybe by the time you`re so old that you can hardly open your hand in the morning you`ll feel you`ve become somewhat accomplished....like most aspects of woodworking the journey is fun.

for a beginner "set" get a small 7-9 sweep gouge, a medium 2-4 gouge and a "v" tool and learn to sharpen....you`ll find that bench chisels and a sharp pocket knife will fill in well untill you get the feel for the tools and wood....for wood most instructors will tell you to use basswood or linden as it`s called sometimes or sugar pine....both are soft! my two favorite woods to whittle are mahogany and walnut...stay away from wood with pronounced grain when you`re startin` off `cause the hard-soft texture is more dificult to deal with...

tod quit fibbin, you can't have pics like the ones on your website and then call yourself somewhat accomplished. we know your humble, but give yourself some credit..:thumb::thumb:

chris

Thanks Tod, and for the record, I agree with Chris.

I'm going to do some tool searching now and I might just pick up a set of carving tools with my next incoming purchases. Looks like mahogany is going to have to be my practice wood as it is the most readily available in my area.

Like Tod said, Two Cherries is very good. The Swiss are excellent and have a large selection. Look for Chip Chats magazine, good ads in there. Check to see if you have a local woodcarving club, there are many in the U.S.