Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first restoration project

first restoration project

I recently had some hand tools passed down to me after a little neglectful storage.

Attachment 12570

I have no idea of the age of these tools. The Craftsman high angle (normal angle? - I'm a newbie to hand planes too - my only one so far other than these is a LN 62 LA Jack) does say Made in USA on the top of the sole. The Stanley rabbet plane is a 39 1/2. Any hints on the age of these guys will be appreciated. Also, I suspect that the hammer is some sort of specialized tool, but I have not the foggiest idea what kind of hammer (other than ball peen, small) it is.

I am using my vise jaws as "stickers" to keep the plane blade from resting on anything in the pic.

Lastly, what is the best way to clean up the rust from the planes? What sort of clean up is reccomended for the hand drill and hammer if I am thinking that they (the drill at least) should be primarily display pieces / preserved for value?

Thanks!

I've used the Electrolysis method with good success, followed by buffing with a wire buffing wheel then sanding with 320 grit if there are any rough spots. What I like about the Electrolysis is that it deep cleans rust from any pitted areas and if treated quickly after the cleaning process will preclude the rust from continuing in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    I...The Craftsman high angle ...does say Made in USA on the top of the sole. The Stanley rabbet plane is a 39 1/2. Any hints on the age of these guys will be appreciated. Also, I suspect that the hammer is some sort of specialized tool, but I have not the foggiest idea what kind of hammer (other than ball peen, small) it is...

Lastly, what is the best way to clean up the rust from the planes? What sort of clean up is reccomended for the hand drill and hammer if I am thinking that they (the drill at least) should be primarily display pieces / preserved for value?

Thanks!
    The Craftsman plane is a #4 size, probably made for Sears by eithe Stanley or Sargent. I'd guess it's a 1950's vintage, or so.

The 39 is pretty rough, and it's hard to tell its age, but Stanley made them from 1900 thru 1953. John Walter's Guide shows it valued at $100~125, but that's for one in good condition.

To clean the planes up, use SOS/Brillo pads and warm water to take off most of the rust and grime. (Remove the wood parts from the #4 first.) Then, finish up with green and/or maroon Scotchbrite pads lubricated with WD-40.

I hate to burst you bubble, but the old drill would be about a $10.00 item on Ebay. Clean it up; lube it; and use it. It's actually a pretty useful tool.

I can't say much about your hammer. Is the metal handle original, or was it welded on later, after the original handle broke? Most older ball pein hammers had wooden handles.

Have fun restoring these old tools. Many of us find it a very relaxing pastime. I know I do!
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Jim,

Those old Miller Falls eggbeaters go for more than $10, in my experience. One of my favorite hand drills, they work really well. I have one of them and it is definitely one of my favorites as far as hand drills go. A definite good user, IMO, and worth much more than $10 to me...
    Looking at the completed auctions on Ebay, I see most were sold for around $10.00. One notable exception was a "fully restored" #2 that went for $29.95.

All the #5's, 5A's, etc., which is what Mark's appears to be, went for around ten bucks.

All that aside, I certainly agree that they're good, very usable and useful drills. I have three of them - a 5A, a 120 (two speed), and a newer Stanley that I don't know the model of. I don't use them often, but I DO use them.
    Jim D.

hi mark

you just bring that stuff with ya when you come up we'll get em back in shape. it'll be a little work and alot of elbow grease (polish steam power) but i think we can get them in good working order easily enough
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Did I spy an LN Shoulder Plane ?

( pant-pant, slobber-slobber, droooooooooooooooool ! )

hi steve
    yes you did spy a lie neilsen medium shoulder plane in my avatar pic. and above it is a LN #2 smoother . no drooling !! they will rust , i am out of camilla oil
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Building today ?

Oh my, "SLAT" Armor for STRYKER Combat Infantry Vehicals. Actually quit the bore but look tough when installed !

I am sad to say that my eggbeater appears to not be a Millers Falls. Close examination today (while showing it off to the friend who provided the bandmill for my recent haul of free maple) shows that it is a Craftsman tool.

I also noted that the top handle has a threaded cap for bit storage. Would applying a little Johnson paste wax to the wood threads be appropriate?

Earlier in the week I lubricated the moving parts with some Break-Free CLP spray. The wheel in the middle isn't squeaky anymore!

Also, close examination of the 39 1/2 shows a skew blade. Is this the blade used for all 39 1/2 planes? For all rabbet planes?

Hi Mark,

I'll betcha that eggbeater is indeed made by MF, even if it's labeled Craftsman. Lots of Craftsman tools have been made by well known manufacturers, but stamped with the Craftsman name.

Wax on the threads is fine. Did you have the good fortune to find any bits inside?

I've got an MF that looks identical to yours.

Ken