Difference between single sided and double side sawblade?

Allen Bookout

I was going to get a Freud laminate and melamine blade. I see that Freud has two: 1. LU98R010 Single Sided Laminate and Melamine blade 2. LU97M010 Double sided Laminate and Melamine blade.

The both appear to do the same job. What is the difference?

Looking at the Freud site the difference is in the rake of the teeth. Single sided blades have a positive rake which will provide a more aggressive cut. The double sided blades have a negative rake.

LU98
LU98RChart.jpg

LU97
LU97RChart.jpg

There is a Freud rep that posts on the NCWoodworker forum. I will forward him your questions. Do you have an email address I can forward to him? Send me a PM and I will pass it on.

Email sent. If one of us doesn't hear from him soon, I would recommend seeing if there is a Freud rep in your area. Based on the ones I've met, they're good people and are quite willing to help out. I'm hoping Charles will join in over here to help out!

Thanks Ed,

Which would be the best choice for cutting 3/4" melamine and/or 3/4" solid stock that is laminated.

Hi Allen - I've been called lots of things over the years, but "Charles" has never been one of them. :rolleyes: I don't know if he checks in over here, so I'll offer what I know of these blades.

I haven't used either of these, but AFAIK the LU97 should leave a slightly cleaner cut with lower tearout due to the neg hook. It should also hold up a tad better because of the neg hook too. The triple chip grind should hold up really well on both though. The LU98 will feed a bit faster though, so go with what's most important to you...depending on your saw and how much you need to cut.

If you need the ultimate in clean cut, you might consider the LU80R010 with Hi-ATB grind if you don't have alot of it to cut. This is simply the cleanest cutting blade I've used to date, but those pointy tips will abrade a bit faster than the TCG teeth.

I'm glad you asked this question, Allen. I have thought, (but not sure), that the LU98 (single side blade) is meant for cutting Melamine, MDF, Laminated Plywood or Laminated MDF that is laminated on only one side, and though slower because of the negative Hook angle, the two sided LU97 was made to cut melamine and or other material with laminate on both sides, or give a "finish" cut on BOTH sides of whatever material is being cut. I have no idea if my thinking is correct or not.:huh::dunno: I hope Charles, (or someone who knows) will reply.

Hey Allen, When cutting Laminated Plywood or Laminated MDF I have always found it best to rough cut to 1/8 - 1/4 inch big then finish with a 3/4" carbide flush cut trim bit in the router. Cutting from the edge rather than the top gives an edge smooth as a baby's butt with no chipping of the laminate. Use a straight edge clamped to the workpiece to guide the router or the bearing on the bit.

Granted, it's a little more time consuming but I don't use laminates very often.

Tony.

Scott and Norman, You guys are right on it appears. Since I do not have a ton of it to cut it looks like that the LU80R010 is the best for me for the best cut on both sides. The LU97M010 best second option. The LU98R010 last longer but not the quality cut on both sides as the other two.

Hi Tony, How are you doing? Being a perfectionist I would expect that of you.

Allen,

It looks like you got great responses here with some spot-on advice. I agree that the LU80R010 is probably best.

BTW, this is my first time here and it looks like a great group. If y'all don't mind I will drop in occasionally to see if there are any Freud-relevant questions or problems I can help with. If I miss one I would like for all to feel free to PM or Email me.

Allen,
I can attest to the LU80R010. I picked one up after a Friend showed me one. It cuts veneer ply like nothing I've seen, virtually zero chip out on veneer cross cuts and as a bonus it works great for a hard wood crosscut blade too. Hardwood cross cuts are super smooth, almost polished! I wouldn't be real concerned about premature dulling with the HiABT, I've cut up probably 20 sheets of 3/4" veneer ply and a bunch of hardwood crosscuts and it cuts like new. Not that 20 sheets is a lot, but it's as sharp as the day i bought it. Oh, just one warning, those HiABT tips are pointy and sharp!:D Drag a knuckle across a tooth and you will be leaking on that shiny cast iron top DAMHIK:(

Mike

Great report M Toupin. I appreciate it. I am going to order one tonight as well as a LU94M010 for Plexiglass and Plastic. Might as well round out my inventory while I am at it. I don't cut plastics very often but have not had much luck with normal blades when I need to.

Good to see you pop in, Charles. :wave: Your name came up in the very early days of this forum as an example of the type of "commercial guys" we'd like to have visit here. :thumb: