First Hollow Form

Pete Simmons

Well here it is - Finished up to 36 grit just prior to applying the finish.

This looks to me like it will be a good seller in the local art galleries.

What do you think?

Anybody care to guess what it may be?

Stayed tuned - more info in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• hollowform.jpg
    hollowform.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 70
You are correct

John - You are on the right track.

Seems the Mini is a little mis powered and can use a little help.

Neal - You also have the right idea.

I have heard they make sandpaper in finer grits than 36. I may have to look into getting some of that stuff. I may even move up to 80 if I can find it!

Stayed tuned or turned.

Last edited:
More Power for the JET

I have been wanting more power for the Jet Lathe. Got a good deal on this old iron 3 phase 12 hp motor so I thought adding it to the Jet would help turning hard woods.

Note the thin piece of cherry on the lathe. This was turned without the new extra power. It seemed to have one section that was very hard. So hard that it just would not cut.

I was going to nail this thin bottom onto the hollow form to make a fancy wood wine glass. I guess I can still use it as a bottom and just say it has a built in shelf to hold your cheese. What a great idea - wine and cheese all in one hand!

Stayed tuned more mods on the way.

Attachments

• jetmotor2.jpg
    jetmotor2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 22
Jet - Coil Winder

I had a few of these to wind for a local science project so I rigged up a JET Mini Coil Winder.

Singer Sewing Machine motor with foot speed control and a cam operated counter.

The coils are a little rough because one wire actually loops back under the windings.

Works real smooth and easy to add or remove from the lathe.

I guess I will just have to learn to work with the underpowered lathe once I remove the aux motor!

Attachments

• jetmotor3.jpg
    jetmotor3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 12
Well, before I could post in awe at the pure, raw power you added to the Jet, you went and admitted it was sewing machine motor. :rolleyes:

The coil winder looks very slick, Pete. The counter is especially neat...great thinking. What's the science project?