One last time

Jeff Horton

OK, we have discussed this several times. Wife told me she wanted this NEXT. OK, not a problem. I have worked out most of the details and settled on this design. There are some details I don't have drawn in BTW.

tv2.jpg

Will consist of 4 pieces. 2 side cabinets. The center section and the top. The center section will have some sort of pull out CD/DVD/Video tape storage.

Now there is one small problem. She wants to unit stretched up to 72" (6 feet) or taller. If I do that it is going to leave a huge gap around the top of the TV. Any ideas?

I will probably play with it some tonight but I don't want to raise the TV anymore and I am afraid it going to look goofy to just raise the top and leave the a bigger gap! But try telling her that!

Last edited:
Oh, there it is . . . .:D

How about an adjustable shelf for "knick knacks" (or a center speaker:thumb:). That way, when you get a different TV, the shelf can move to accommodate.

Food for thought.

Wes

jeff, you could build a stand for the tv to sit on that could house the dvd/vcr/stereo receiver, underneath. although this option would raise the tv some, which may not be an option, personally i like my tv about the level you have it now.

by the way i really like the design, i love that style but LOML isn't as fond of it as i am.

chris

Jeff, we built a very similar unit, and put the TV on a shelf to leave room for the VCR and DVD player (and the satellite box when we got that). The shelf we put in raised the TV only about 5" above where it was. Or you could put the shelf above the TV for the same purpose.

Nancy (99 days)

One of the first designs she wanted a shelf on top with the components on there. I HATED THAT LOOK! It's just not clean looking to have the components on the top.... to me anyway.

Then we put the under the TV, which is not a bad idea and looks better to me. SHE HATED IT. :D So thats why they are shown on the side like that. We neither one really liked that but it was the best compromise and neither of us wanted glass doors.

A box/shelf might work though. I am concerned about getting the TV much higher. Were only going to get a 36" I think. Not into Drive-in Theaters look in the living room. :)

I will try that though. Still got to work on the top. It's not quite right. One of those close but no cigar deals.

Take some cardboard and mock it up. I always find when I'm close, it's best to go to real 3-D. Then you and your wife can discuss what you are going to do.;):D

Wes

I was thinking a shelf also.

Yup, I was also thinking shelf.

However, I would also consider rethinking the whole thing. With the new flat TVs, there is no longer any structural reason to have the center section so deep. I would look at designs where all the units are the same depth. Or what about just having the two side units, make them a bit wider, and have the TV mounted on the wall?

...art

jeff, i`ve installed the "center channel" speaker over the television behind grill cloth on several different entertainment centers and it looked fine....
be sure to pay attention to your viewing angle.....where you sit in relation to the t.v. screen height.....if you`re lookin` up or down more than a few degrees you`ll find that sublimally you don`t care for the new arrangement.

... Still thinking about this...

Jeff, you mentioned that your wife wants it up to six feet -- is that the overall height, or the height of the side units?

If it is the side units, then you're going to have another 12" of space above the TV, if you just stretch the plan. Yeah, that might look funny, but you could use that space for some pictures, or a piece of wide-but-short artwork?

Another idea is to frame the space a bit more. White space can look good also, it doesn't have to be all cabinets. So if you gain 10-12" of white space above the TV, what if you also shrink (shorten) the middle cabinet, mount the TV on the wall, and then you have some white space below the TV as well as above it.

I'm also trying to imagine what it would look like if you raised the side towers by 12 inches, but did not raise the center cap, or even drop the cap a few inches, so it is shorter in the middle. you could put plants, or vases or other things on top, using it as display space, or just leave it open.

just thinking out loud...

...art

I raised it so the center section is 72". She is not going to back down on this. So it's going to have to be like this. Of course I pointed out that I could whine and grip about it for the next 20 years and she would have to listen to me for a change. :D

She called me stupid and I couldn't argue with that so I guess she wins. :dunno: :rofl:

I am working in the Lab today on something else. But I am guess I am just going to have to have to put a shelf over the TV. It's pretty ugly the way it is. I was not planning on a back in the center section. Bt that may change. If so I can put the TV on a mount so it can swing out and around. Gee this just gets more and more expensive!

tv2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, I've been thinking about your project since last night. I've been trying to figure out what to do with that space above the TV. Especially behind the trim piece. That seems like a difficult area. Could you move the actual cabinet top down so it is perhaps 1/4" above the highest part of the cloud lift?

With a flat screen TV, perhaps you could put a sort of false back in to bring the television forward some. You could have some secret storage or maybe not so secret.

Hey Jeff why don't you add a little shelf with drawers above the tv inside the area. They could be only half as deep as the hole itself so they'd look nicer.

I don't know if you understood that, but if you send me the skp I could add them in there for you and show you what I'm talking about.

EDIT: nevermind, I see that you were already planning on doing that.

Last edited: