Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine cabient WIP * Wine rack started

Wine cabient WIP * Wine rack started

Finally got to the glue up the carcass. Starting to look like something now!

Last edited by Jeff Horton; 09-14-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

jeff, i prolly missed it, but what type of joint did you use to connect the shelves to the sides?

thanks
    chris

ps..looks great!! can't wait to build my walnut kitchen next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mire View Post
    jeff, i prolly missed it, but what type of joint did you use to connect the shelves to the sides?
    I was sort of hoping no one would ask that. I am a little embarrassed by what I ended up doing. But I though long and hard on this one and the center shelf is resting in a dado. It is walnut too. We designed it so that the upper doors will fold back on the sides. She can access glasses and use the shelf as a work surface. So I wanted walnut there.

The top will covered with glass racks so I am using birch ply and will stain it. I am using the bad side because it has some knots and looks more like the walnut. But with the glasses in place it really won't show. Same with bottom, it will covered with the wine rack on one side and a couple of shelves on the other. So birch there too.

But, I just pocket screwed the top and bottom in place. I thought about it long time and that was the simplest way and it avoided another dado. I was really concerned about cutting the dados. One slip and the panel was ruined. It wasn't easy to cut that center one on the TS and I really didn't want to cut 6 of them.

One thing I learned is I need to build a nice big dado sled for the TS. Or find a long arm for my DeWalt RAS!

jeff, what about cutting them with a router, straight bit and straight edge? much safer and prolly more accurate, i have a friend who built a table that he uses to dado big tall cabinets. it has a sled mechanism for a router in the middle that sits on top, and he just slides the panel in underneath and moves it to the spot to be dadoed, and slides the router back and forth. i need to make me one soon actually.

well it's done now, but maybe next time that could be an option

and dont be embarassed. pocket screws are better than just nails...

chris

Chris, a router would have worked. I am just not much on routers. But in this case it would have worked as well as anything. Next time I am just going to plan a little better.

The wine rack

Well I impressed the most important person there is. Me. Got my grid roughed out and it looks good. Made a simple jig and smooth as silk. I didn't expect a problem but this was one of those that simpler than I expected.

Of course while I was sitting there smiling admiring my work I had a thought. How the heck do I get this thing trimmed to size?

Stay tuned! I have a couple of ideas........

looking good jeff. i told you it wasn't that bad. glad it worked out well so far.

hope the trimming goes well

chris

steve, not sure if you ever use louis and company, but i am pretty sure they have them premade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post

Of course while I was sitting there smiling admiring my work I had a thought. How the heck do I get this thing trimmed to size?

Stay tuned! I have a couple of ideas........
    Simple enough, Jeff. Cut a piece of plywood (for a sled) to exactly fit in the case and then center your grid on the plywood where you want it and screw in some wood blocks to the plywood to hold the grid in place and then clamp another piece of plywood (the same thickness as the ply sled) to the saw table next to the fence, (so the overhanging grid will ride above it) to make the first cut of the grid even with one side of the plywood. To cut the other side, remove the plywood that is clamped to the table, rotate the sled and reset the fence to cut the grid on the other side even with that edge of the plywood sled. Use the same procedure to cut the ends of the grid. Simple, Huh????

Then after you cut it like Norman said------how is the best way to attach it to the inside of the cabinet? Asking for my own benefit.