Wine cabient WIP * Wine rack started

jeff, i prolly missed it, but what type of joint did you use to connect the shelves to the sides?

thanks
chris

ps..looks great!! can't wait to build my walnut kitchen next year!!

jeff, i prolly missed it, but what type of joint did you use to connect the shelves to the sides?

I was sort of hoping no one would ask that. :eek: I am a little embarrassed by what I ended up doing. But I though long and hard on this one and the center shelf is resting in a dado. It is walnut too. We designed it so that the upper doors will fold back on the sides. She can access glasses and use the shelf as a work surface. So I wanted walnut there.

The top will covered with glass racks so I am using birch ply and will stain it. I am using the bad side because it has some knots and looks more like the walnut. But with the glasses in place it really won't show. Same with bottom, it will covered with the wine rack on one side and a couple of shelves on the other. So birch there too.

But, I just pocket screwed the top and bottom in place. :eek: I thought about it long time and that was the simplest way and it avoided another dado. I was really concerned about cutting the dados. One slip and the panel was ruined. It wasn't easy to cut that center one on the TS and I really didn't want to cut 6 of them.

One thing I learned is I need to build a nice big dado sled for the TS. Or find a long arm for my DeWalt RAS!

jeff, what about cutting them with a router, straight bit and straight edge? much safer and prolly more accurate, i have a friend who built a table that he uses to dado big tall cabinets. it has a sled mechanism for a router in the middle that sits on top, and he just slides the panel in underneath and moves it to the spot to be dadoed, and slides the router back and forth. i need to make me one soon actually.

well it's done now, but maybe next time that could be an option

and dont be embarassed. pocket screws are better than just nails...:thumb:

chris

Chris, a router would have worked. I am just not much on routers. But in this case it would have worked as well as anything. Next time I am just going to plan a little better.

The wine rack

Well I impressed the most important person there is. Me. Got my grid roughed out and it looks good. Made a simple jig and smooth as silk. I didn't expect a problem but this was one of those that simpler than I expected.

rack1.jpg rack2.jpg

Of course while I was sitting there smiling admiring my work I had a thought. How the heck do I get this thing trimmed to size?

Stay tuned! I have a couple of ideas........

Of course while I was sitting there smiling admiring my work I had a thought. How the heck do I get this thing trimmed to size?

Stay tuned! I have a couple of ideas........

Simple enough, Jeff. Cut a piece of plywood (for a sled) to exactly fit in the case and then center your grid on the plywood where you want it and screw in some wood blocks to the plywood to hold the grid in place and then clamp another piece of plywood (the same thickness as the ply sled) to the saw table next to the fence, (so the overhanging grid will ride above it) to make the first cut of the grid even with one side of the plywood. To cut the other side, remove the plywood that is clamped to the table, rotate the sled and reset the fence to cut the grid on the other side even with that edge of the plywood sled. Use the same procedure to cut the ends of the grid. Simple, Huh????:D

Simple enough, Jeff. Cut a piece of plywood (for a sled) to exactly fit in the case and then center your grid on the plywood where you want it and screw in some wood blocks to the plywood to hold the grid in place and then clamp another piece of plywood (the same thickness as the ply sled) to the saw table next to the fence, (so the overhanging grid will ride above it) to make the first cut of the grid even with one side of the plywood. To cut the other side, remove the plywood that is clamped to the table, rotate the sled and reset the fence to cut the grid on the other side even with that edge of the plywood sled. Use the same procedure to cut the ends of the grid. Simple, Huh????:D
Hi Norman, :wave:
I could follow your thoughts and it is a very clever idea. How do the first cuts get made on the grid work so that it will ride against the fence?
Good idea I just can't figure that one yet.

Hi Jeff, :wave:
You are really kickin it in on that project. Nice job.
She is gonna love it and you too! :D
Shaz

Sitting the Lab waiting on the glue to dry on the racks. So it will be this afternoon before I can cut them to size. Norm, I actually already had and idea on how I was going to cut these. Similar to yours.

I am going to take an oversized piece of ply and joint one edge. Mount some blocks on there to capture the rack in place. Measuring off the jointed edge. Then use the jointed edge of ply/sled along the fence. I could then flip the part 90 degrees and square it up. Not sure if I want to use the sled for all four cuts or just the two, will have to make a cut with it then decide.

Alan, I am still thinking on how to attach it to the case. I figured if nothing else I could ad some blocks behind the rack... oh I am going to make a solid frame all around it, dadoed so it's all flush. (that make sense?) But install some blocks and then screw it in place from the back. It would never show. But I am still thinking on this one. I just sort of design things as I go and maybe will come up with a more elegant idea.

Alan, I am still thinking on how to attach it to the case. I figured if nothing else I could ad some blocks behind the rack... oh I am going to make a solid frame all around it, dadoed so it's all flush. (that make sense?) But install some blocks and then screw it in place from the back. It would never show. But I am still thinking on this one. I just sort of design things as I go and maybe will come up with a more elegant idea.

If you have enough room to get in from the back side, maybe pocket hole screws from the back of the frame around the grid into the case????? It might work if you work from the back of the case, and install the front grid first, and then the back one.:dunno:

Last edited:
Hi Norman, :wave:
I could follow your thoughts and it is a very clever idea. How do the first cuts get made on the grid work so that it will ride against the fence?
Good idea I just can't figure that one yet. Shaz

Shaz, that is what the spacer is for clamped to the table between the fence and the sled, which would let the uneven side of the grid,(on the fence side) ride above the spacer as you make the first cut. Jeff addressed the same problem by just making the sled wider than the grid to keep that edge away from the fence during the first cut, which is an even better idea.

Last edited:
wine racks are like window grills except thicker...when i make grills i`ll assemble `em oversized like you have done and either lay them directly over the unit or on a full scale drawing of the hole and cut with a handsaw..minimal chance for mistakes that way.

I have not worked on this in over a week. Finally got to spend most of the day on it yesterday. I have the first rack installed. Ready to do the second one this morning. Then it occurred to me that I had better stain inside or it was going to be REALLY hard to reach through and do it.

I included a photo of my jig I used to trim the grid to size. It worked well. Just have to .. or I felt it better to feed it slowly so not to break anything.

101_0719.jpg 101_0720.jpg winerack4.jpg

I wanted to install a frame around the rack by cutting dado's and making a half lap joint on the frame and wine rack so everything fit flush. But I was concerned about cutting the dado and chipping the grid. So I just decided to make a frame and glue the grid in from the back side. That seems to have worked pretty well.

After I eat I am going to install the back unit and then see about making a drawer for the left side. Then some standards for a couple of shelves under that.