Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to Mac need browser help

new to Mac need browser help

I pretty new to Mac, my biggest gripe so far is that Amazon and Ebay are PAINFULLY SLOW to load. Often in Safari I have to click on the reload button several times to get the page to load, after I finally get a few different pages loaded them the site seems to work fine for that session.

I just downloaded Camino to try out, and can't get either site to load at all

I'm using a new (in May) Apple MacBook Pro MA611LL/A 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive

Is there some setting I need to change?
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

Kevin,

If you are having problems with speed using both Safari, and a freshly loaded Camino, I'd try this first.

Utilities, Disk Utilities, click on your HD icon and Repair Permissions.

Then I'd load FireFox (Mozilla.com) and see how it works. FF is a known stable and fairly fast browser.

Are you using any Norton products, especially Internet Suite? If so, I'd get rid of that and forget you ever used it......

Try those, and let us know. We can do some other things after we hear from you on these.

Hey Greg

OK downloaded Firefox, no go on Amazon, sat there and "loaded" for 5 minutes nothing

Norton = NO WAY

Just tried Ebay with Firefox and it loaded right away

Kevin,

OK, did you Repair Permissions?

If you open Safari back up, under the Safari name you will see "Reset Safari". If you click that it will clear your history, cookies etc. These can get plugged up over time and should be cleaned periodically. Doing this will speed up Safari, but I'm more wondering if your connection might be adding to the problem. Any details on it might help.

Yes I forgot to mention I had tried the "repair" before I downloaded Firefox.

I just did the Safari reset, both Amazon and Ebay are back to what I've always had (until the last week or so) I get about 95% of the page loaded (usually everything but pictures) and it just kinda sits there spinning and nothing happening, push stop and reload and it will (usually) load the full page.

As far as my connection, I'm probably not smart enough to answer that question. I just turn on the computer, open the browser, and surf

We use these people for our connection, and have a Buffalo brand router hooked to the desktop and 3 laptops (2PC and the Mac) the Mac is the only one with the Amazon, Ebay problem

If you need to know anything technical, you'll have to speak S L O W L Y and pretend your talking to a toddler

Is your MacBook Pro using wireless? If so, try connecting using the Ethernet wire and test the speed on various sites. Compare to the wireless speed.

Not prob...I don't know enough "Geekese" to worry about....

Man, I've been waiting months, if not years for this...

Dude, you should'a got a Dell.

[Ducks and runs for cover before I get pelted with Apple cores...]
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kevin,

This sounds very odd. My wife uses a mac mini, and at work we have at least 40+ macs scattered around the lab and I have never heard of speed issues like this.

Gregg has some good ideas.

Another thing -- have you got your machine using some sort of filtering software or are you set up to use a proxy? It almost sounds like some parts of the web page (ie: some images may come from another server) are being blocked somehow.

Is this something that has always been that way on the mac, or did it start happening recently? What software have you installed? Have you made any configuration changes that you can remember? Have you been tweaking the firewall settings under the network control panel? Have you made any changes to your DNS or Network settings? Any tweaks to your DHCP settings?

Definitely try it with a wire instead of wireless.

...art

ps: Vaughn... Vaughn... Vaughn...

Kevin,
    I'm at work now, on a 20" iMac (older non-intel model). I almost never use Safari, I use Firefox. But just to try, I fired up Safari and opened amazon.com and then ebay.com and both pages were done before 2 seconds had elapsed.

More suggestions:

- open your system preferences, select "Sharing", and then tell us what you have selected under the "Services" tab and the "Firewall" tab. My firewall is turned off, as I use the firewall here at work, and the same at home, we use the firewall built into our Linksys router.

- again under system preferences, select "Network", then look under the "Airport" location (The "Show" drop-down), and see if you have a Proxy set, or if anything is odd under the TCP/IP settings.

You could then select "Built-in Ethernet" (that is what you use when you use a cable instead of wireless) and see how those settings compare to the Airport settings.

- under the Airport, make sure you have the button clicked to show Airport in your menu bar. Then under the airport menu (appears right side of menu bar, near the speaker icon) open "Internet Connect" and see what that shows you -- verify that you are using your own router, and haven't somehow selected your neighbour's wireless router. (you have turned on security in your router I hope, unless you want to give free internet to your neighbours?)

Hope some of this helps.

...art