Kids Highchair

Ian Abraham

This is my latest project.

Baby Lara needs a highchair, so after looking at various plans and commercial designs I just went out and built one from scratch. :dunno:

This is just a trail fit up, and the dovetails may need some epoxy to make them snug, but it all held together for the photo shoot with no glue at all.

Just wanted to build something 'different' :)

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• 100_7811s.jpg
    100_7811s.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_7813s.jpg
    100_7813s.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_7814s.jpg
    100_7814s.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 50
I agree with Tod. The design is very cool.

But how is the center of gravity? I look at the design and I wonder about how stable it is with a wiggly child in it. It looks a bit top heavy. Is it really very secure against rocking?

I wonder about adding a wider pad under the feet. Or, if you want to pick up the circle design, what if you put a circular pad under the front foot, sort of like this:
ian-highchair.jpg

Unique. Looks stable, front and sidways to me. But, kids do slam themselves backwards, both for play and as attention getters. Wondering if it might go down backwards when that happens. And, I hope you are planning on rounding all the squared corners, especially the front of the seat.

Neat Ian, very neat!

I like it, I too worry a bit about a rambunctious kid tipping it, but I have a different idea, instead of making the pad bigger on the bottom, put a roll bar and four point harness on it, and let them go nuts :D :rofl:

In all seriousness, looks good and stout, and the design is certainly one of a kind, COOL! :clap:

Thanks guys.

The stability is a concern of course, but I think the pictures are probably deceptive, being taken from above the chair they make the 'feet' look smaller than they actually are. Also all the weight of the chair and occupant are cantilevered in front of the main post, reducing the chance of it going over backwards.

I'm still going to do some 'rocking' tests before it's put into service and if I have to modify the base I can. I could put a huge base on it, but have it take up 1/2 the room :huh:

The wood is my normal Monterey cypress, so it should finish up pretty well, it has a nice honey colour when it's varnished.

Cheers

Ian

Interesting design Ian - I hear what you say about stability but also have to say that the single central post in the centre of the back looks like it could be a bit vicious if the sweet young thing decided to snap its head back in a rush. Obviously difficult to judge where it would come against the little darlings head or neck but it might be worth considering.

ian, kids are smart.....my son only needs to bang his head on something once before he learns that it`s not a good idea to repeat that little exersize;)...

No sharp edges on the piece, every exposed edge has a small 45 deg bevel routed on it. The post extends up above the childs head, she can bang her head against it if she wants, but hopefully the novelty of doing that wears off pretty quick :doh:

Cheers

Ian

Yes it is a Unique and Baroque design but I feel that the rear stability is missing and a try cornered piece is easily toppled. With refinement it should work.

First test drive ;)

Stability is pretty good, backwards is pretty stable as all the weight is suspended in front of the post. Even though back leg seems small it's about the same angle from the seat as a standard chair.

Back to the shed for a few coats of food proof varnsih now ;)

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• DSC03039s.jpg
    DSC03039s.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 328