Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coopered or Paneled?

Coopered or Paneled?

Which doors look better?

I designed this for my brother. It started out as a Stickley sideboard that got modified a wee bit.

Thoughts?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

dave, not much help from me as i happen to like them both. maybe if the panels actually had a 3-d look it might make a difference, but if i strain hard enough i think i can imagine it.

which would be more feasible for you to build?

chris

I prefer the one on the right.

I prefer the one on the right also.

The panelled one would probably be a lot less work but I like the coopered one. My brother would get the panelled one.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

dave, true coopered doors are movement nightmares, it`s dificult enough to fit curved frame members...if you just want a challenge then add a curved raised panel at least the movement is restrained..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks guys for the advice. Unfortunately my brother is the one who gets to build this thing. I kind of like it though. Might give it a shot someday, too.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

From a design/aesthetic perspective, the panel doors fit better with the side panel design.

The coopered doors could be made to work, though, if you added a fixed strip that matched that top rail on the side panels. The symmetry would work better, I think. It'd effectively shorten the doors a couple inches, of course. But I think it would match best. Even better than the panel doors since there'd only be one horizontal member on the bottom, to continue the look all the way around the piece.

Just my ramblings
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Question

Very nice design Dave I like em both...

Tod, sage advice... Would a laminated (either solid laminate, or hollow core) door have the same movement issues?
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

Hi Dave,
    Nice job on the both of them. The one on the left is more modern and the one on the right is more traditional. You are so talented, either one would be great.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how