Ash Natural Edge

Mark Cothren

This is from an Ash tree my neighbors had to take down not too long ago. A storm had blown it over and they cut it the rest of the way down. I've turned a few NEs from it and sure enjoy turning Ash. This one ended up 14" x 10-1/2" x 6-1/2" and I used antique oil on it.

Comments/critiques/suggestions/opinions are all welcomed.

AshNE02-1.jpg

AshNE01-1.jpg

AshNE03-1.jpg

Hi Mark,

I really like that, just as it is, no suggestions at all here!! I'm thinking that Ash and Elm might look similar in grain and we have two Elm trees coming down this month, so I'm going to save a few pieces for the lathe. Maybe I can attempt something as nice as yours!

cheers eh?

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm thinking that Ash and Elm might look similar in grain and we have two Elm trees coming down this month, so I'm going to save a few pieces for the lathe.

The Ash and Elm around here are no comparison, John. Elm is much tighter, denser grain and for me it is not near as easy to turn/finish as Ash. Just my opinion/experience, which is limited.

Here is some Elm I turned not too long ago for comparison:

ElmNE01.jpg

pretty pieces mark!
there`s nuthing i like about working with "ellum" ...from cutting it down to either trying to work it or burn it it`ll fight ya` all the way.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The Ash and Elm around here are no comparison, John. Elm is much tighter, denser grain and for me it is not near as easy to turn/finish as Ash. Just my opinion/experience, which is limited.

Here is some Elm I turned not too long ago for comparison:

(image in earlier post)

Well, the Ash bowl was very pretty, but this Elm bowl is just a step above in my opinion. Very very nice!! Thank you for posting the comparison.

cheers eh?