Mitre Saw Station

Malcolm Webb

You probably realise from the “proper” spelling of mitre that I come from the UK ☺

I am new to this forum and thought I’d like to share my new shop-built mitre saw station with you. The idea and the drawings came from a Canadian woodworking magazine I bought in Canada during a trip in March 2007. I bought several magazines during that trip and am very envious of the quality and quantity of woodworking magazines available in the US and Canada compared to those available here in the UK.

Anyway – the Mitre Station. The article said to build from ¾ plywood but I built mine from ¾ MDF because I had plenty available in the workshop. Everything was made or adapted from scrap and salvaged material and the only things I bought were the steel pipes for the extension arms. The article recommended 1 inch tubes but I used ¾ inch (20mm here in the UK) because I had some scrap hardwood exactly 20mm thick salvaged from some old kitchen units. I didn’t finish the station as carefully as I might as I was in a hurry to put it to work. It took me just one day (about 7 hours) to cut and assemble the unit. I had intended to leave the saw bolted to the table but the whole assembly is too heavy to lift safely so I detach the saw and store it separately after each use. The only thing left to do in the photos is to attach the stop blocks to the outer arms but I didn’t have any t-nuts left so that is a small job for next time in the workshop.

The original plans had carrying handles cut into the arms on the table, but I thought the whole assembly would be too heavy to carry using handle holes cut into an edge mount ¾ inch MDF component so I left them off. I have since drilled through the base on the inside of the arms and added rope lifting handles.

Attachments

• My-Mitre-saw-table-1.jpg
    My-Mitre-saw-table-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 146
  • My-Mitre-saw-table-2.jpg
    My-Mitre-saw-table-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 135
Welcome aboard, Malcolm. I like the extension idea. Well done.

I didn't think much about the "mitre" part, but by the time I made it to "realise" I knew we had another Brit in our midst. ;) Good to have you here. :thumb:

Welcome to the Family Malcolm! :wave:

Cool stand, I guess when it is packed up, it takes up very little space, so that is a good thing.

How does it work?

Cheers!

Malcolm welcome! You will find that this is a really great place to share Ideas and learn new things.

I really like extensions. I've been considering building a replacement for the old cheap stand that I'm currently using on my "Mitre" saw. I may see if I can incorporate that idea into my stand when I get a chance to build it.

Mike

Welcome to the Family Malcolm! :wave:

Cool stand, I guess when it is packed up, it takes up very little space, so that is a good thing.

How does it work?

Cheers!

The table is 42" long x 26" wide and takes up very little space when stood on end. The top platform is separated from the bottom platform by 3/4" battens which form channels for 3/4" dia extension tubes. The extensions will pull out 33" each end, so I have a total lenghth of 9 feet when fully extended. The platform sits across 2 saw horses as I don't have room in my small shop to have it permanently mounted, but I do have plenty of space outside for setting it up.

I am really delighted with it and it works a treat.

Welcome to the Family Malcolm. :wave:

That's a nice job on that "Chop" saw table. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT