Thread: pens from heritage wood (with pics, Stu )

Smile pens from heritage wood (with pics, Stu )

These are three Jr. Gent II pens I just finished. They were made on commission from an art dealer in Little Rock. The wood came from paneling in the old family home. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is but my guesstimate is strongly favoring cherry. The panels had ribbing on the back and had to be planed down. The blanks required three pieces and were laminated with plain ole yellow Elmer's carpenters glue. I had never done the Jr. Gent II pens before and was dismayed to learn that the recommended drill bit size was incorrect. Tubes were put in with thick epoxy and should be fine though. My finish was: two coats of Myland's sanding sealer allowed to dry then sanded down through the Micro Mesh (MM) grits; four coats of Deft spray lacquer with each coat allowed to dry and sanded down through the finer MM grits. Then polished with Turtle Wax scratch remover and finally polished with Trade Secret Wax a/k/a TSW, but the real stuff from Top of the Line auto care products. In person the finish looks much better than my quicky photos. Even though the work involved in making the blanks exceeded the cost of a good blank, I am not factoring that into my pricing. She will give two as gifts to her sisters and keep one and she has a wide network of friends and customers. I believe (hope) the goodwill and bragging will generate more custom business for pens, heritage and otherwise.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank, I moved you post to the turning forum. Nice looking pens.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

wow I wish mine came out looking that good.
    Richard "Butch" Leshner

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Frank, I moved you post to the turning forum. Nice looking pens.
    Thanks. I goofed. First time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Leshner View Post
    wow I wish mine came out looking that good.
    Thanks, Richard. Pens can be fun. Getting the finish is the continuing challenge.
    If you are interested in penturning, I suggest you take a look at The Pen Shop. It is the smallest of the main three pen turning forums but the one I like the best. http://www.thepenshop.net/

Steve Clardy Guest
    Looks great Frank

I've cut and gave away a zillion pen blanks, but never had the inkling to turn a pen.

Pens are fun, those are nice Frank, and I'm sure you will get some more business from them!

I love turing pens, they are fun, fast, and most EVERYONE loves to get one as a present, they are SO much nicer than the usual mass produced plastic things.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Interesting Frank and a great save to some cherry wood. I'm sure they will sell.

When I'm feeling a bit stressed there is no better therapy for me than turning a pen.
    Todays mistakes can be tomorrows gain

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Watsek View Post
    Interesting Frank and a great save to some cherry wood. I'm sure they will sell.

When I'm feeling a bit stressed there is no better therapy for me than turning a pen.
    These were done by commission (special order) and were pre-sold.

Very nice Frank! I hope they bring you more work!

Corey