Need design help bigtime!

Bill Lantry

Ok, folks,

So here's the scoop: one of the great loves of my life is someone with whom I've never shared a single romantic moment. I've worked with Kathryn for ten years, and now she's going off to some big high-falutin' job in North Carolina. She's from there, and everybody leaves DC and goes home eventually... it's just the nature of the universe. In Kathryn's case, the story is 'girl goes to the big city, makes good, and goes home as general counsel of the entire north carolina university system.' You'll see why that's relevant in a minute.

Anyway, a couple years ago, I was opening a bottle of wine for a festivity, and broke the cheap office wine opener. It became a running joke... she brought in a new, heavy duty opener, and put a label on it saying "Bill-proof corkscrew". Then, for christmas, someone gave her a very nice bottle opener. Looks like this:

Table-Mounted-Opener.jpg

She didn't use it, mostly because she didn't have a place to attach it. So she said to me:"I've got one you can never break... if you have a regular one, let's trade." I said ok, and took it home. But Doorlink didn't like it, so I meant to take it back to Kathryn, but never got around to it.

And now she's leaving, and I need to give her a going away present. I want to give her something that will make her think of us every day. Not that she won't anyway... James calls her Aunt Kitty. But in thinking about a good present, I thought to myself... well, in her new job she'll be doing a lot of entertaining, and she's rather fond of wine. So I can give her her corkscrew back... but with a twist...

The thing needs to attach to a table. The table needs to have some weight to it, but she's only got a small cottage, so the table can't be big, even though it would need to have some weight. Think, think... Ok, a small table, say 32 inches high, and near the top a "cabinet" section that would hold three bottles of wine across and three bottles high, with a door in front. Something elegant, but sturdy at the same time. The top would have to be wide enough so the corkscrew could be mounted on the "lip". I have a rail and stile bit, so the front door can be paneled. I've got some wormy soft red maple that Doorlink doesn't like, but would be nice for this. I do have a mortiser. Tapered legs, maybe, or turned? I've never made a mortised tapered leg, much less a turned one. It has to be really nice, as she'll be entertaining chancellors and governers and the like....

It's a great idea, but the project is beyond me... and the going away ceremony is a week from today. I barely have time to make it, and I sure don't have time to learn sketchup. I need a plan, really badly!!!

I'm flinging my self at your collective feet, asking for mercy, and humbly begging for your aid! O! Great Ones!, kindly help your humble servant in this time of his greatest need!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Idea sounds great Bill, unfortunately IMHO, you will need to take the entire week off to complete the project you have described.

or work all night long after work.

bill i don't know you're skill level, only you know that so be realistic in your approach to this project. you don't wanna be in the middle of the project when she leaves, then you'll have a table you don't want unfinished. best thing to do is just sit down and sketch it up on paper, it doesn't have to be perfect, sketchup is nice but craftsman lived without it for centuries.

i think tapered legs fit better into your time frame.

what about finish, what type, how long will that take.

get a sketch going and try to post it, then let others critique it.

sorry i couldn't be more help

good luck
chris

Not a very good picture, and not as elaborate as what you're considering, but how about something along these lines?

I built this about fifteen years ago, and would do the joinery much differently if I was doing it today, but at least it'll be a design idea for you...

Attachments

• wine table.jpg
    wine table.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 22
Bill,

I don't mean to muddy the waters, but I will throw out some other ideas which may be smaller and faster.

A combo base for the opener and a cutting board? Something that sits/attaches to the edge of the counter with the opener attached?

How about a narrow wall mounted piece. Enough room for the opener and a bottle - maybe a holder for a few glasses?

A wine "box" - room for a bottle or two inside, with a lip on the top or bottom for the opener and "hook" to grab the table top? (thinking "bench hook" only with a return to capture the table.)

It's a tough nut to crack. Hope you come up with something.
Good luck,
Wes

Dear Bill, Hi, :wave:
Here are some drawings just for you, just ideas for now. You can do what ever you set your mind to if you have the time, resources, and your sweetheart's permission. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
wine table, bill lantry (428 x 600).jpg
Usually the design process takes the longest time but for you...:dunno: Hey...:wave: you are "family". Keep us posted.
Shaz

Ok Bill, I drew it based on how I pictured your description in my head. Even if you don't like this, now I have a base design to work with, if you want me to do some modifications.

The box is 10"High x 10"Wide x 15"Deep. I don't know how big wine bottles are so those are the rough dimensions I put, I also didn't add an inside cubby hole thing, because I don't know how those are made, but I could add all that stuff later if you want.

I just did this as fast as I could. but I am willing to put some more effort into getting it right if you need me too. But for now, I gotta go to the corner store, see you in a bit.

EDIT: I just realized that I made a little mistake. But you still get the idea. I can fix it later if you want

Attachments

• Lantry TableV1.jpg
    Lantry TableV1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 18
Ok Bill, I drew it based on how I pictured your description in my head. Even if you don't like this, now I have a base design to work with, if you want me to do some modifications.

The box is 10"High x 10"Wide x 15"Deep. I don't know how big wine bottles are so those are the rough dimensions I put, I also didn't add an inside cubby hole thing, because I don't know how those are made, but I could add all that stuff later if you want.

I just did this as fast as I could. but I am willing to put some more effort into getting it right if you need me too. But for now, I gotta go to the corner store, see you in a bit.

EDIT: I just realized that I made a little mistake. But you still get the idea. I can fix it later if you want
Hi Allen,:wave:
That is a very nice rendition of something I think Bill might have been able to get done in time. It is really nice the way it is!:thumb: Surprised he did not respond to your assistance, having been in such a hurry? :dunno:I'm sure he just got busy elsewhere and hasn't had the time. Anyway, just to let you know that your efforts were appreciated, I write. :)
Thanks,
Shaz
P.S. Really kind gesture, reminds me of that generous man Dave Richards:D

Hey Shaz, thanks, but I don't have to be appreciated. I've gotten more than enough help from some of the members of this very forum than I could even hope to repay right now, so the way I see it, I am just doing my part to keep up the tradition.