Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: woodworking lottery

woodworking lottery

so, let's just say you won the woodworking lottery, what do i mean you ask. well, let's pretend that you were commissioned to do a job, this just happened to be the job you have always dreamed of doing. something that is very interesting to you and provides a good challenge. now, to add to the winnings, you have every piece of machinery you could need at your disposal, so that is not a hindrance. to add to the fun, you magically possess the skills needed to accomplish this task (assuming you don't already like me)

so the question is, what would the commissioned job be for you, what is something you have always dreamed of building. what wood would you use. and what would make this project special for you?

i'll start in the next post.......

chris

ok, for me...i have dreamed of building my own home since i was 14 or 15, i am now 29, so it's been a long time coming. the most important part of a home to me is the kitchen, (go figure i build cabinets for a living...) so for me a job i have dreamed of for years was to build an incredible kitchen.

but guess what, next year i get to do that...so that can't count.

if i had my choice of the types of jobs i do it would be really custom furniture. things that i design with the help of the homeowner. i would do the building and the finishing. the furniture would include nice jointery. i would want to create pieces that make people's jaws drop when they walk in. the kind of stuff that people want to touch when they see it.

if i couldn't do that i would want to do really custom kitchens. the kind where money would be no concern. time would not be a factor. the only constant would be to blow people's minds when they walked into the room.

those are my dreams. at least i get to fulfill one of them next year. i can't wait.

so what is your woodworking lottery?

chris

More than just Woodworking ..........

A complete restoration of an old Woody Wagon -- at least five hundred horses of (almost) pure chrome engine in a flat black steel frame -- restored steel body & fenders with custom fit hardwood panels, custom leather interior with all the modern gauges -- state of the art technology in a classic package !!

And let's not forget the matching custom surfboard.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-15-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add title

Tony, BCE '75

My dream wouldn't go quite like that. I already have a nice 5th wheel trailer 36' with triple slide outs. I would like to be able to take it & go to the different wood working schools where the teach 1 week up to several week courses & just have the time to enjoy & soak it all in. I would like to learn hand tool techniques, Make a chair with Michael Dunbar. There is just so much I would like to learn I can't even think of all the places I would like to go. When I get my truck finished there is even room for a band-saw & small lathe inside of it plus a good quantity of hand tools & a small bench.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-15-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Read this and been thinking while answering another post. Funny thing is I can't come up with anything except what I am doing now!

I mean my shop it close to what I want. I need to finish the Bandsaw and find an OSS. Oh yea, mortiser. But it will be here in October. There are few hand tools I would like to have. But honestly I have most of the big stuff. Of course you said assume you had the tools. So....

I have always wanted to build furniture and I am finally getting to do that. My dream project is a Dinning Room table and chairs. Maybe a Buffet to go with it. While I don't think I am ready to tackle 10 chairs yet I do have plans for that in next year or so. We have about decided instead of buying one that I will just make it. So, I guess my answer would be what I am doing. Just able to spend more time at it.

Gee, I am easy!

OK, I would have to say I would like, like Tony, to do a woody. 46 Ford if I had my choice. That is one thing I have always wanted to tackle. But I don't the interest in old cars I had 10 years ago so it's not on top of my list anymore.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I would build a 200 foot tall spiral staircase that was large at the base and gradually decreased in size to very, very small at the top so that it would appear that it was so tall that it just disappeared into space. This would probably be erected on a clear piece of land near a major interstate. Everyone would say "Who is the crazy guy that did that?".
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-15-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Its for myself though ! . . .

One day I'll have the leavings from other pepoles projects to build it. A " Gerstner Style " roll away the size of the biggest Craftsman Pro roll-away. ALL soilid ( no ply here ! ) Red Oak, turn of the century cast casters on the bottom, restored Victorian brass hardware, super-duper smooooooth heavy duty drawer tracks, felt lined drawers, humidor type humididty control with a vintage humidity gauge and about a hundred little, thin, big, small, long, short, deep, divided drawers, pigeon holes, slots, cubby holes and secret chambers. Maybe a hundred and fifty, we'll see.

I kinda got to do it already... built a teak entry door with a round top for a woman in Tucson. She actually wanted it built as traditionally as possible, so I got to do a couple of neat fancy joints, and wanted it built from teak rather than knotty alder or pine stained to look like something else. Only thing that spoiled the perfect job was it was going into a curved wall - mutter, grumble, mutter

I built a similar one for my house, but used lyptus and its not round top. I liked the teak one better

great posts everyone, but i must say, allen gets a trophy for creative thinking here....if there was a trophy...sorry allen.

i'd like to drive by that staircase though.

Thanks Chris! Oh well-----I guess that no trophy is a good thing as I do not have to build a trophy case where I can display it with all of the other trophys that I do not have.