Anyone use the quick change chucks for routers?

allen, i figure the folks who build routers know what they`re doin` when they call for an xyz bearing down near the collet......if they knew that a longer extention was being added to the collet before the bit i`m betting that they`d spec different bearings.....the ol` lever and fulcrum deal?......something to think about at 20,000rpm:eek:

I am sure that you guys are right. I just got to thinking about it as I was considering getting a Legacy ornamental mill and the guy demonstrating it was unsing one to change bits while the router was uprignt on the sled table, or whatever you call it, and it seemed pretty neat. I have since cooled down on the mill somewhat so I really have no need for one right now anyway. I was mainly trying to fill out an order to Infinity to bring the price up so that there would be no shipping cost which is only $6.50 I think. Not real smart anyway I guess.

I will be the odd ball here. I have had one for a while now, and I like it. Much easier to change the bits in the router table with it, no more two wrench stuff. While it may be hard on the router or bearings my router hasn't had any problems thus far. I only use it in my router table not any hand helds.

One of my 3 routers uses the "Eliminator RC" chuck. The device replaces the normal chuck in my DeWalt 625. The reason is that the DeWalt is mounted in my WoodRat, a jointmaking fixture that is mounted on the wall. You can't flip the Router on its side or flip it over to wrestle with the standard chuck.

This is one of 3 routers I have, and I must say that turning one small hex wrench is a lot easier than trying to maneuver 2 spanner wrenches through the narrow opening of a router base. I frequently do it without looking at the wrench, the chuck or the bit. And the Eliminator chuck doesn't really extend the router shaft all that much. Perhaps 3/8ths inch at best.

Bits seem to be held quite securly, and when loosened, the chuck surrenders the tooling easily.

Gary Curtis

Thanks Aaron and Gary. Like both of you I was thinking about using it in a fixed position but on a mill which would make the wrench changing a little bit difficult. I am not sure about the mill yet so I may just wait. This information will go into my head so that if I need it I will not hesitate to try one.

The cost of this is large enough that you need to consider if you would benefit enough. $60 here, $60 there.... it seems to go on forever.

I'm just putting my router table together right now. A tablesaw extension version. Having bought a Milwaukee 5616 specifically for that application, I'm a little peeved that I learned only this morning that I can't change the bits from above the table. I can adjust bit height, but have to stoop down to unclamp the motor and fumble with two wrenches. With both hands occupied, now how do I wiggle the bit just far enough into the chuck so it doesn't bottom out?

The FineWoodworking ( Feb 2007) evaluation of routers for tables was published after I bought the Milwaukee. I'll tell you, I'm not real pleased with the poor engineering and ergonomics on a lot of these products. Rant!!!

Gary Curtis

"$60 here, $60 there.... it seems to go on forever." I thought that I was the only one that felt that way.

I have the Milwaukee 5625 mounted on a Woodpecker's plate and I am able to use offset wrenches to change the bits above the table due to the three plus inch diameter twist out ring. It is a bit of a problem trying to hold the bit off of the bottom while installing it. I think that I am going to drop a small O ring down in the bottom and just let it bottom on that as it should still allow some expansion. I believe that I have heard of that solution. I could use a quick change chuck for that but Infinity does not list one for the Milwaukees. I do not know if they make one or not.

Did you get your new spray gun yet?

No spray gun yet, Allen. Probably in November.

Another dealer for the Elimantor RC router chuck is www.craftsmangallery.com

My thinking that led to the Milwaukee is this: I didn't want a 12-pound router in my table. With a smaller one, it would serve double duty for hand routing, and the design of the Milwaukee 5616 seemed quite tractable.

As time goes on, and I learn more, I realize that the 3 1/4 HP router would really do a superior job in the instances when I use very large bits.

I think by the time I'm ready to 'close the barn door' on my shop, I'll probably sell the Milwaukee, buy another DeWalt for the table and a 4th router for hand work. Something such as the 1400 Festool. With that protruding handle, and the guiderail, it is really garnering praise from the Festool community.

Gary Curtis

We have one on a table-mounted Porter Cable speedmatic at work, (also has a router lift installed) I didn't pay for it, but it sure is nice. We use the table for a lot of different operations on a daily basis, so it speeds things up alot. I've gotten really spoiled with it. We did have to replace the bearings in one of the routers recently:rolleyes:, don't know if it had anything to do with the speed changer. For a low budget alternative, I got the Freud 1700 in my table at home. It has above the table bit change and locking collet for one hand bit change built into it. Got it on sale at Amazon about a year ago for $113:D. It's worked fine so far. Cheers, Barry

I liked mine as long as it worked (had it on my big PC in the table). One day I heard something strange. Stopped the machine.... My router bit was creeping up... Good thing it was a non through cut or things could have gotten ugly. She just kinda wore out. I got three years use out of it, but I won't be getting another one. For the few extra seconds it takes to change bits and the amount I use a router table anymore (not very often)... Just not worth it. And my router does do a better job closer to the work (without the extensions).