Lathe tool storage

Mike Forsman

I'm trying to get my shop a little more organized rather than just piles of stuff everywhere. So I though I would tackle getting the lathe tools organized. I have a really shortage of wall space in the shop and so I came up with this idea. It is build out of left overs from other projects.

The storage box fits on the end of the lathe. It doesn't seem like it will get in the way too much there.
Lathe_Tool_Storage_01 (800 x 600).jpg

Lathe_Tool_Storage_02 (800 x 600).jpg

Opens like a book to allow storage of the lathe tools, and other lathe tools.
Lathe_Tool_Storage_03 (600 x 450).jpg

A close up of the storage shelf.
Lathe_Tool_Storage_06 (450 x 600).jpg

The second part opens with more storage.
Lathe_Tool_Storage_04 (800 x 600).jpg

Lathe_Tool_Storage_07 (600 x 450).jpg

Lathe_Tool_Storage_05 (800 x 600).jpg

Great idea, and nicely done. I've been scheming of ways to get my stuff a bit better organized, too. I may have to steal some of your ideas. :thumb:

Well done, I agree that getting a place for everything, and having everything in it's place is really good for efficiency.

Nice design and execution! :thumb:

Mike, that is sweet!!! Like another said, my back doesn't do the repeated bending without a lot of complaint, but that is one sweet setup that I may pilpher ideas from and hang on a wall.

Wayne,

I don't know about the "more organized" comment. You just didn't see pictures of the rest of the shop.

Bernie, Jonathan,

I do agree with not wanting to bend down every time I change to a different tool. I really have a shortage of wall space to mount this on otherwise it would be on a wall. As a result, my plan is to make a holder to hold the tools that I'm using on the specific project that would keep them in close reach. Time will tell on what I come up with in that regard. What doesn't show in the picture is that my router table is right behind where I stand when I'm turning. Currently, I turn around and keep the tools that I'm using on the router table top.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the pictures. I am in the process of changing my storage system from a rack that has been in use for almost 10 years, to, uhhhh, something else. I am not sure what that something else is going to be, but I got some good ideas from seeing what you did. Right now my tools are literally in a pile on a bench, since I had to take my rack down to make room for the cyclone. And it all looks just like a cyclone hit it! :eek: I am also trying to parcel out the tools between three lathes, and figure what is going to be used where the most. Add in a few new tools that just arrived (stealth gloat, Thompson gouges) and things get really complicated! But like I say, your pictures and ideas have gotten some of mine going, and I may shamelessly pirate some of what you did for your own stuff. ;)

Bill

Bill,

I really understand about the "pile of tools on the bench". That is the state I was in prior to starting the organizational push. It would be nice if a new cyclone was the reason that my shop was such a mess, but that was not the case. (I have a daughter that is getting married in Nov and new tools just are not in the budget now). It seemed like the tool I needed was always about the 3rd one down in the pile. Congratulations on the new tools.

I wish that I could claim that this was an original idea. I do not recall ever seeing such a lathe tool storage box before. But I have seen some other tool storage boxes and they got me thinking, a few changes here and there and I have something that is useful for my purposes, perhaps for others too.

I have a daughter that is getting married in Nov and new tools just are not in the budget now.

Congratulations Mike! My oldest daughter was married in June. Two more to go, and the second one is already engaged. It happened the night of the first one's wedding, when she and her intended came to us to ask our blessing - like we didn't have enough going on that day! :eek: I told the girls early on I was willing to buy a ladder and three suitcases, but none of the women, including my wife, took that seriously.

The cyclone is just being moved to a different location, so there is nothing sexy about that. It just means more work. I have a new lathe on the way, but that is a business expense, and I had to sell my beloved Poolewood to get it, but I am looking forward to it. And the turning tools, while nice, are also business. But they look real nice, and if they are all the are said to be, they will be well worth looking at for people on budgets. Consider this - an unhandled gouge of a slightly better quality than the old Glaser tools, going for $50-$70! That is a better deal that anyone is going to find on a Sorby or similar tool at the woodworking store.

Now if SWMBO would let me pick up that FN FiveseveN I have been lusting over, that would be a real gloat! That would be hobby stuff and not work.

Bill