MONSTER gloat!!!!!

As in MONSTER hollowform rig with laser and MONSTER handle!

HPIM1514 (448 x 600).jpg

I finally set-up most of it today and played for a few hours. I did not set up the laser but will later this week when I go visit a world famous turner :)rolleyes:) for a weekend of lessons. This is one wonderfully nice tool and I will join the ranks that rave about it. Did a quick roughout of a small piece of ironwood and then hollowed it out.

HPIM1519 (600 x 448).jpg

I also "scooped" the bowl out of this box elder rough out with the MONSTER handle and straight bar w/scraper. VERY smooth tools!!!!

HPIM1521 (600 x 448).jpg

THANKS for a quality Made in the U.S.A. tool Randy!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Congrats Barry. Isn't that a awesome tool? I really like mine. How did you like making the winged bowl? Don't want to get your knuckles near the edges. I did two of them.

As in MONSTER hollowform rig with laser and MONSTER handle!

I did not set up the laser but will later this week when I go visit a world famous turner :)rolleyes:) for a weekend of lessons.

Berry,
Do take the time and let us know how this sysem works. I saw Randy this past weekend but didn't have time to talk with him about the rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berry,
Do take the time and let us know how this sysem works. I saw Randy this past weekend but didn't have time to talk with him about the rig.
Having used one since about February, I'd say it's the "Thompson Gouge" of hollowing rigs. ;) Excellent quality for a fair price, especially when you consider all the bits and pieces that come with it. :thumb:

I saw a prototype hollowing system this past weekend, the idea was good but it was still a hollowing system. They still have to work out some bugs and it will be a while before the first one is even ready. What I didn't like... I had to sign a form stating I wouldn't steal there idea... bottom line... they don't trust me. It was a tough weekend to be around three people who voted you as a person NOT to be trusted. Little did they know I wouldn't waste my time.

I feel better after that vent...

I need a rig soon... (I feel a cat in the HAT needs to be made) so far Randy has the best and at a fair price.

I did get a couple handles from Randy over the weekend, they are not on his site but they are cool. I have to take a picture and post it.

Thanks!

Doug,

It was great to get to see you again, although time didn't allow us the luxury to set down and chew the fat, so to speak. I got the chance to use your bowl gouge this past week; what a nice tool. I too had to sign a non-compete form, Ray said they were going to be in direct competition with me, although they didn't want to make them, they just wanted to have someone make them and pay them for their Patent Rights. I don't see how they could patent it, it's a conglomeration of two or three different hollowing systems. I've been working on a hollowing system for the Minis. They will probably say I tried to copy them, but I believe I had posted pictures of some prototypes that I was working on. A version of an articulating arm that I had designed for Allison Transmissions years ago.

Off of soapbox.

Sorry to rant so long.

Randy,
You make it sound so nice, non compete form. Last time I checked there were no hollowing rigs on my site. I must be from the old school were everything is done on a hand shake or a gentlemans agreement and no legal papers.

A fairly common order from past customers goes like this; Hey Doug, I need this tool, Joe and I send it out then the check is in the mail.

I wish them best but the work as only begun, to make one is easy... a production run has to done to show it can be made at a profit.

Speaking of production runs I need to back to one or my boss will dock my time.

I call you in a week or so,
Doug

Congratulations on the new rig Barry! I've been using mine for a while now, and really like it. Randy is great to deal with, and I know you will have a lot of fun with your new toy, uhh, tool.

Bill

Congratulations on the new rig Barry! I've been using mine for a while now, and really like it. Randy is great to deal with, and I know you will have a lot of fun with your new toy, uhh, tool.

Bill

Yep, I am REALLY enjoying this new toyl:thumb:. I made one modification......a spring clip on the back of the laser battery holder to keep the light on. Now to wait for the roughouts to dry so you can all laugh at my HF attempts.