Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ethical dilemma

ethical dilemma

Living in a retirement community, and being retired, we get a lot of 'invitations' to attend seminars on how to invest our money for retirement security. These 'invitations' always include the inducement of a free dinner, often at a very fine restaurant. We will get about three of these per week. So far, we haven't attended any of these. But, the prospect of eating out at a nice restaurant, free, two or three times a week is very tempting. The question: Even though we would have no plans to do any investing, would it be ethical to still accept the 'invitation' and attend?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

If it is like some I have heard of, you will pay for the dinner in blood, sweat and tears before you get out of there!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

They invited you. You did not ask to go. If it was not worth their investment they would never invite you or any of us so I would not feel bad. I never attend though as I do not want to waste my time, even for a nice dinner.

Frank, if they weren't making money, they couldn't afford to make the offer. Corporate greed in America has run amok of late and folks like these are making their profits from the many fixed income retirees that currently make up the population. I don't begrudge anyone from making a living, or even a profit. Just don't take advantage of the American public (like the bulk of corporate America seems to be doing). Having said that, my philosophy is go ahead, have a nice meal. You deserve it. You worked hard, made it to retirement only to have someone try and use "your" money to make "their" profit. Yes, you "might" benefit from their service, but you could just as easily loose.

Ethical, prolly not. But I'm becoming more and more synical.

I donít think it would be unethical. Who knows, at some point one of the presentations might even appeal to you.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

free dinner......i`m just brash enough to tell `em thanks for the free chow now it`s back to the homeless shelter for me....just don`t give `em any more information than they allready have...ie; name and address....maybe give `em the address of the local aarp chapter....
    wonder why i don`t get those invites?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    free dinner......i`m just brash enough to tell `em thanks for the free chow now it`s back to the homeless shelter for me....just don`t give `em any more information than they allready have...ie; name and address....maybe give `em the address of the local aarp chapter....
    wonder why i don`t get those invites?
    Well.....son .....it's like this.....in 20 or 23 years, you will get them. Around here, it's assumed that a retiree is one of those who came from 'up nawth' with a million dollar checking account and $5,000.00 (or more) a month pension check. Those are the folks who invest.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hi Frank,

Take the dinners. Take as many as they're willing to put out for. They have already calculated the cost of those dinners into the "cost of sales" for their investment schemes, right down to the last penny and they're taking a expense as a deduction, so you might as well fill a chair for them. As Jeff says, you'll pay in boredom from listening to them "sell" while you eat. After you've been to a few, they'll mark your name as an "eats but does not buy" , then the invitations will stop.

cheers eh?

Hi Frank,
    I say eat. You might find that the meal isn't worth the spiel. But if they're inviting you, there's nothing wrong with accepting it.

Ken

Add another vote to the "take the meal" pile. As others have said, the company is already building the cost of the meal into their cost of doing business, and who knows...they might actually have something of interest to talk about.

Years ago my first wife and I accepted a free two-night stay at a ski resort in NM in exchange for sitting through a couple hours of a timeshare sales pitch. We had no intention (or means) of buying a timeshare, but we appreciated the free mini-vacation. They also gave away a little 13" black and white TV, which we also took with no regrets.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com