Collecting on a debt

Doug, you beat me to it...Judge Judy! :rofl:
Sorry you're having to deal with this Steve. I also agree that this needs to be to the business. Maybe if the partner knows, something will be done, unless, like others have said, the partner is in on it too. If not, the partner would probably like to know. Maybe it's a case of theft from the company. Your "friend" collected the money from the business to pay you, but kept the money for himself. If this guy is hurting for money, it wouldn't surprise me if this is happening.
Good Luck! Jim.

Now while we generally prefer the burning of undesirables at a stake thing, but that unfortunately ate up too much good hardwood that could be put to use in woodworking uses.

Hey Travis, you guys used hardwood with all that spruce around? :eek: Jess and I could send you some nice pinon for a stake burning if the budworms have killed off all the spruce. Pinon has even more pitch, burns real good. :D:D:D Sticky too...

Steve, man does that ever suck! Wish I could help, even with some good advice, but I'm at a loss.

Unlikely a lien can be filed for a debt not related to the real estate. State laws do vary though. But unlikely as most of these laws all stem from English Common Law and are usually very similar.

Oh, I'm sure you are correct Frank, though my parents new home had a lien for services not rendered by the previous owners business. Gee, they "forgot" to tell my parents about that.:rolleyes::(
Wes

I'm posting this to show the OTHER side...

I delivered a batch of trophy thingies I made up for the local laser place... collected a check and went away happy. I had to run in the grocery store and stopped at the bank right after, and in that 20 minutes or however long it was, they had called me twice. So I drove on back over, expecting something was wrong... and it was. They'd underpaid me by $100. :eek:

I wrote the ticket based on a number I knew we'd talked about... and then saw the number we'd agreed to on her notes. I thought that was pretty stand-up. :thumb:

FWIW, one of my wife's coworkers is into me for a $50 pen a couple Chrsitmases ago... so I kinda know what you mean. LOML told me she wasn't gonna play collector, either.

Steve I saw a guy a few years ago that had a very unique way to collect from deadbeats,he had one of those portable signs in front of his business
(auto repair business) he would put their names on the sign and ask for them to pay their long past due bills for all the world to see. You would be surprised how quickly those accounts were settled. Good Luck

Hey Travis, you guys used hardwood with all that spruce around? :eek: Jess and I could send you some nice pinon for a stake burning if the budworms have killed off all the spruce. Pinon has even more pitch, burns real good. :D:D:D Sticky too...

Steve, man does that ever suck! Wish I could help, even with some good advice, but I'm at a loss.

Hey man, send that Pinon. From what my Great, Great Grandfather passed down through the generations, the Pinon will up the BTU output. Burning undesirables only produced 500,000 btu's and in those drafty old cabins it took 2 million BTU's to heat them every winter.:dunno:

From what my ancestors said, it would take four or five undesirables a year to heat the home. I guess it was around that number that they formed a Union (the United Pilgrim of Undesirables of America Union) and via the Undesirable Relations Board of Arbitration, succesfully staved off (pun intended) any more burning at the stake parties.

As for you Steve, I would think having a home building business, you would have plenty of roofing tar lying around. It looks to me like all you would need is a feather bed and some railroad tracks!! :D

Of course I am just kidding Steve. I feel sorry for you Buddy and just trying to inject a bit of humor into an already somber topic. In all seriousness, do you know a commercial fisherman who fishes on any of the Great Lakes up there? Around here giving a guy a ride on a lobster boat typically pays off. Literally. They get a bit squimish when there is nothing to see but water, the boat and you. A night spent alone in the bait cooler also works. Funny how isolation makes them rethink not paying what they owe you.