Cabinet hardware question...

John Pollman

Howdy all!

I'm right in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel on my father's kitchen. I've got all of the cabinets installed and the granite is ordered. But there's one portion I'm in need of help with. He has a pantry that used to just have a bi-fold door on it. He wanted to have doors on it that matched the rest of the cabinets. Well he was able to order just a face frame with four doors that is almost exactly the size of the opening. That is going to work out very well. I thought he just wanted some slide out shelves inside which would be no problem. But I just found that what he wants to do is have three slide out shelves in the bottom portion and have two vertical slide outs on top. (basically a vertical drawer) They would just be racks for cans and such. I can make those up easily but my question is what kind of hardware to use for the slides. I plan on using 24" full extension heavy duty slides from Woodcraft for the slide out shelves. I was wondering if I could just use the same type for the vertical slide outs and just mount one on top and one on the bottom. But the more I think about it that may not work because the load would be in the wrong direction. Or maybe I could just modify the design a little bit and mount them vertically and then they would work fine.

Do they make hardware for a vertical slide out like I described or would I just be better off using the standard drawer hardware? I'm just going to make a box out of probably 3/4 particle board with melamine on each side. That way the cabinet will have a nice light interior.

Thanks for any input!

John

Cool, thanks Steve. That's kind of what I thought. I don't think there will be a lot of heavy stuff on the vertical slide outs. I think we'll just use the same ones that we are going to use for the shelves.

Take care

John