Hip Resurfacing Operation - Success

Jim Shaver

Hi,

I wanted to let all of you know that I had my hip resurfacing operation on Sept 7 and all is well. It was done by Dr Frank Smith at the Henderson hospital in Hamilton Ontario. They perform 2800 joint replacements there a year. With $10k of new hardware in my hip they sent me home after 4 days and yesterday I was able to go for an hour long walk, with crutches for support. It will take 12 weeks for the recovery to reach the 80% mark and I can return to work then, about 12 months to reach 100%.

This Link was important to me in finding out what I needed to know.
http://www.activejoints.com/resurfacing.html

I wanted to thank a few people here for their kind support on the forum and via email, your words and expressed support means a lot to me. I still have some ways to go, but I feel that I am getting great care with physio and nurses visiting me at home. The 23 staples come out this Friday, next week I will be receiving my physio in hospital.

Most of all, the pain is gone!!:D:D:D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I highly recommend the resurfacing process if you are considering a hip replacement......it's a blessing.;)

Congrats Jim, I know just how good you feel, I had a full replacement 3 years ago, a bad cold felt worse than the replacement. That is why i got into woodworking, my gift to myself is being able to build a new kitchen for my wife, which I am in the process of. Good luck, recovery will go fast.

Great news Jim, I was just thinking about you today. I'm glad that everything went well for you, though I am sad that it will be 12 weeks before you can start working on some more of those beautiful pieces that you like to post pictures of.

Either way, whats important is that you are healthy. Welcome back Jim.

Hey Jim, that is just simply great news, thanks SO MUCH for keeping us all in the loop, I was just wondering about how it was with you the other day:thumb:

I guess by Christmas you should be able to move around even more?

Spring next year, you will be back better, way better than before the surgery.....?

Won't be long at all. Modern medicine is really amazing! :clap:

Cheers!

Sure glad it went well, Jim, and you're up and about and on the mend. (from one who's had two back surgeries), Ain't "PAIN FREE" Woooooooooonderful?:thumb:

Hmm, Jim needs a sit-down lathe, I think.

How about this one? ;)
1236SD_400px.gif

I think you're physio coverage should provide that. I'm sure it is an important part of your recovery process to keep active. :wave:

Best wishes Jim! Guess I won't be bumping into you in Woodstock at the show. :(