Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: well, I'm ticked!

well, I'm ticked!

Thought I'd work some in the shop this afternoon since I left the old job at 11:00 this morning. Thought I'd put the laminate on the router table top. Everything went pretty good, except after the first coat of cement, I saw I wasn't going to have enough. Run to HD required I put 2 more coats on to work. OK no biggie. I always pay special attention to any debris that is on the surface before I mate them. I looked at the MDF top and cleaned some specks off of it, then went to the outfeed table and did the same for the laminate. Either there was a chunk (well, big particle)of wood dust on my sleepers, or I got some on the laminate when moving it. It showed up big time when I went to bond the laminate. And just were was this mountain erupting under my laminate??? About 3" in to the left of the router plate opening. Right where everything I run past the router, over 5" wide, will have to climb it on the way to the bit. Tried to peel the laminate up, but couldn't get close to it. Didn't want to run the risk of snapping the laminate...that would really be a big mess. So I drilled around it with a small forstner bit so that I could get the rest of it to lay flat. Guess I'll see if I can cut a matching round plug and glue it in, or get a big brass flat head screw and make it decorative. Maybe I should do a poll,
    Now, I have to figure out how to cut the recess hole out for my router plate. I'm thinking I shouldn't have routed it out in the MDF before I did the laminate. I may be starting all over on the top. Stay tuned! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

OUCH

How about taking out the lump, and put a second layer on the whole table????

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

I beat it until I was afraid I was about to break 2 layers of MDF! It wasn't budging. I tried to shave it off with a razor blade, figured I could mask the color change. Wasn't happening. I was afraid to take the time to come in and ask questions in that the glue wouldn't adhere any more. It's flat as can be now. Maybe I'll cut a piece of laminate to fit the hole, then fill it in with something that will be clear when it hardens. That way it will be a reminder for the future.
    What gets me, is I didn't have that problem with the two 10' sections I did on the torsion boxes. Oh well, life goes on. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

As far a filling in the hole that you drilled with your forstner bit I would be tempted to fill it with two part epoxy, a little high, and sand it level if I could not make the plug work. If you are lucky it might appear as though it belonged there.

I had to cut out a piece of laminate that I had layed over a previously cut router plate cut out. The ledge was too shallow to use a bearing type laminate trimming bit so I used one of the small laminate trimming bits that does not have a bearing and it worked just fine. I can't find an example of that type of bit right now but I had one left over from years past. I will look around a little and see if I can find an example. Ok here it is: http://routerbitworld.com/category_s/251.htm If the bottom of the bit is still too deep for the ledge you could grind it off untill it would work. Lowes, Home Depot or a local place might have one. At one time they were common but have not shopped for one lately.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-19-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks Allen! That might help me with what I need to do. I thought I might try to cut out the rough lower hole, then put the template back on and cut again, but I know I'd be off just a smidge and the plate would never sit right. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

I thought about that also when I had the problem Jim but like you discarded the idea for the same reason that you did. Might have worked but then again it might not have.

I just went out and looked and cannot find my bit like that. Surely I have it somewhere. Old age I guess.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 09-19-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Jim,

Bummer !!!

Just as a note, I routed my plate opening after I laminated the formica top. Worked fine.

Be careful when you trim the laminate. I just use a laminate trimmer router bit, but the thing that suprise me was how SHARP the 90 degree corner was. I got a good cut on a finger from the edge. A little 220 sandpaper solved the problem, I was just surprise.

Hope you can do something about the lump....

Jim, if it were me, I would treat the lump as if it was a place into which I wanted to install an inlay. Make up a template, get a collar for the router, a small diameter bit, and away you go. My rusty mind says that David Marks has done inlays on several of his shows....

You most likely would want to practice on some scrap with laminate..

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Jim,

Bummer !!!

Just as a note, I routed my plate opening after I laminated the formica top. Worked fine.

Be careful when you trim the laminate. I just use a laminate trimmer router bit, but the thing that suprise me was how SHARP the 90 degree corner was. I got a good cut on a finger from the edge. A little 220 sandpaper solved the problem, I was just surprise.

Hope you can do something about the lump....
    Oh, the lump is gone. Drilled it out with the forstner bit. Just need to fill the hole I left (shallow, just through the laminate and barely into the MDF.) Was afraid not to...didn't want the glue not to stick the laminate down if I waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Jim, if it were me, I would treat the lump as if it was a place into which I wanted to install an inlay. Make up a template, get a collar for the router, a small diameter bit, and away you go. My rusty mind says that David Marks has done inlays on several of his shows....

Good idea, Ken. I've got lots of scrap!
    I'm going to go see what size forstner I used. I think it must have been a 3/8", but need to verify. I cut some laminate for the PRL to sit on in the routed out area. I was able to cut the round corners on it with tin snips. The corners fit better than the straight edges do! Might be several things I could lay into the hole. Still think a big brass screw might look good in there. Would probably have to be a slotted head, but would still work. There is a new Ace Hardware between the house and the new job. I might stop in on the way home tomorrow and see what they have. The other thing would be to get a plug cutter the same size as the hole and cut a laminate plug to glue in. The epoxy idea could still work also. How about a shiney new penny? Enlarge the hole to match and epoxy over it? Might be cool looking.
    Thanks for the ideas! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-19-2007 at 11:14 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post

My exact thoughts. Hide it in plain sight as if it were intentional. Maybe you could get someone to laser your signature on a disk and inlay that. Everybody signs their work right?
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/