Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critter in my yard

Critter in my yard

About 2 weeks ago, my wife told me that she saw a "woodchuck" running around our yard and across our deck. She felt it might be taking up residence under our deck. Needless to say, she didn't care for that idea.....

I live in a suburb of Buffalo, and have a smaller back yard. If I was out in the country I would give serious consideration to just shooting it, but thats unfortunatly not an option in my neighborhood or township.

So I set my live trap, threw in some fruit, and left it. I had no takers for about a week, and no spotting of the "woodchuck". Then when cutting the grass, I noticed that something had dug under the fence into my yard. So I set up the trap there and left it. A few days later, I discovered that I had caught a small possum in the trap. My wife insists that the possum was not the critter that she saw....... I relocated it, out in the country down the road from her parents' home. As you can see in the picture it was not too happy to be in the trap. I can't imagine why

There haven't been any more "woodchuck" sightings since the possum was relocated, so I guess we'll see.....
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

We've got quite a few of them around here. Several years ago, at a previous house a few miles away, I found a baby possum on the rail of my back porch...playing possum. Dunno why, but I decided to pet it to see what it'd do. (I'm a pushover for baby animals.) Although it had a very rough-looking coat, much to my surprise the fur was baby-soft and silky. It seemed to like very gentle pets with a single finger on the back of its head.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

They are delicious with gravy and sweet potatoes...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    They are delicious with gravy and sweet potatoes...
    i 've ate alot of wild critters but havnt got to any of those things,, dont look to appetizing to me chris.. have undressed a few of them in my younger years and still havnt had the urge to try eatin them...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

My labs think they are tasty

But they're so cuuuute! We had a possum in the chicken coop a number of years ago, but since there were no chickens, only worthless cats, I did not shoot him. That was at the behest of my daughters of course, who during their entire lives have called on me to remove all sorts of animal life, from little bugs up to squirrels, possums, etc. Of course, I am not supposed to kill anything. I am supposed to relocate it, and that includes the spiders! I make them take care of their own bugs now. If it has fur or scales, I take care of it.

Oh and the possum? He got a free ride, eating cat food with the cats until he crossed the road a little too slowly one night - and it was not me who did the deed! Our last worthless cat moved across the road a couple of years ago to the neighbor's house, since all we fed her was dry food. The neighbor puts out wet food, so our hospitality was spurned in favor of easy living. Now no one has to supply cat food to anything out there in the old coop.

Bill
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Vaughn, Opossum (possums in forum speak ) fur has been used in ladies furs if I am not mistaken. Most times in the wild they are pretty dirty and not attractive looking. But it is a very soft fur. In the spring time when they birth sometime the mother gets killed and the babies will be in the pouch (like a kangaroo). The State Park Naturalist had two that were rescued that she raised and used them in educational programs in the schools and at the park. She said they were not really bright but made a good pet. They are garbage disposals and will eat anything!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

If you caught one, that means there are still 9,999 in the woods within a couple hundred yards of your home. When we first moved to our present home, I tried (live) trapping a nuisance raccoon. The trap was set every night for three months. Of those aprox. 90 days, only four did not catch anything. Of the four, two didn't catch anything, two I got raccoons. But all the other nights, about 86, I got possums. I dutifully took them to my farm (we didn't live there) and released them. But that routine got old and I gave up. There is no end to their numbers.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

So Frank, are you saying they are impossumble to count?

Bill
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    So Frank, are you saying they are impossumble to count?

Bill

Groan...........
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire