Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most hatred or useless tool you have/ had/used.

Most hatred or useless tool you have/ had/used.

As from the opposite thread we see that there are hundreds of preferences, all of them to be respected, may be with this new thread we find a more narrow scope or a more general agreement.

I know that there are tools around that shouldn't have seen the light ever

As far a I'm concerned I remember throwing away a tool out of desperation but I can't recall which tool it was, our brain has systems of protecting our sanity

So bids are open!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Some folks may recall my displeasure with a Maikta 3612BR router.

It served as a doorstopfor many years to remind me... both of how much I hated it, and the childish way I made sure it would never fail me again.

KC

I have a couple that come to mind...

The Chinese-made plunge router I bought in the early days of my woodworking. The collet was so poorly made it wouldn't hold a router bit, and everything about the router screamed "safety hazard".

A Harbor Freight lathe that someone gave me for free. It had a single speed, and the off switch only worked sometimes. It was an accident waiting to happen. I gave up on it shortly after the first time I tried it.

An adjustable square that looked promising at the store, but the markings were nowhere close to being correct, and the settings were not repeatable.

I've had a lot of other cheap tools over the years, but in hindsight, I did pretty much get my money's worth out of them.

I have other tools like a biscuit joiner and pocket hole jig, but have not yet really used them to their full potential, because I've not yet had the need. Nonetheless, they are good tools, and when the need arises, I'll be glad to have them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The Porter Cable detail sander...you want it?

I had a really crappy jig saw, a "Consumer" grade Ryobi. The blade was held in place by a grub screw, and you needed an allen wrench to change it. The whole thing was so mickey mouse if you cut anything thicker than about 1/4", the whole plastic case, or body of the machine would flex.

Cost me about $50, I had turfed it, and bought the Bosch that I have now, but a buddy came by and saw it in the circular file, and wanted it, I warned him, but he was happy with it..

Total piece of junk, but that was the last cheap poor quality tool I think I've ever bought, I think I might had actually learned that lesson......well maybe
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This router, hands down:

Unsafe at any speed.

Bogged down no matter what it was cutting.

And so incredibly difficult to adjust I almost threw up my hands over the whole enterprise. Seriously. I thought "I'll never be able to get this right... I can't even make two pieces of trim that match." Then I had a big argument with myself over wasting money. But one day I was so disgusted, I logged on and ordered the one most people have in their tables. "...and there was much rejoicing..."

As to that awful thing's fate: it was summarily hung from a rafter, where it remains suspended, to remind me of the folly of circular reasoning, and the depths of depravity to which tool marketers are willing to stoop. At least I hope it's fate keeps me from falling in that particular hole again!

Hmmmm... now that I think about it, maybe I should do a Vlad the Impaler number on it! If only I had a wrought iron gate!

Thanks,

Bill
    (who's disturbed by his own irrationality on this subject... Somebody hand me a whiskey, quick!

Hey Bill, do a double check to make sure that sucker is really well attached to the rafter....... I would not want it falling on your head in one final act of injustice.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig View Post
    The Porter Cable detail sander...you want it?
    Oooo... I almost bought one of those. I guess, sometimes, it's good to be broke!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

my most hated where cheap low quality edge tools..chisels in particular...sharpening is enough of a bugger without trying to sharpen junk.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

It was a Black and Decker jig saw that I simply could not get to follow a line. Furthermore it could not cut straight up and down. I bought it about 25 years ago, replaced it twice in two week for free, then finally returned it, get a credit from the store, and bought a Makita jig saw that did a find job. In the end, the Black and Decker cost me no money and that is how much it was worth. Come to think of it, it was worth less than nothing because of the time that I took trying to get it to work properly.
    Cheers, Frank