Most hatred or useless tool you have/ had/used.

Like I said in a similar thread on the OTHER forum:

I hate my cabinet saw. It runs fine and I use it every day. Out of all my tools it is the tool I use most(for woodworking), but I hate it. Every time I look at it, I feel a knot in my stomach, because I hate it so much. Sometimes I just want to walk up to it and kick it, but then my brain kicks in and tells me not to make things worse.

But other than that I am happy with ALL my tool purchases and I plan on staying that way.
Allen, what is the make and model of the saw that you hate so much?

It has nothing to do with the quality of the saw itself though the quality isn't what I expected.

The reason I hate my table saw so much is because it was a bad decision on my part. Its too big for my shop and there is nothing that I can do with it that I wouldn't prefer to do with another tool, aside from ripping, which I could happily do on my bandsaw.

Its more me just being angry with myself for making a bad decision, but I like to take it out on my table saw.

But just so you know Frank, the reason I don't mention the brand of my table saw, which you may remember what it is, is because I don't want people to think I am knocking said brand. I just don't like the tool in general and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't even buy a table saw.

Still it has more to do with my personal situation than the tool itself.

LOL ! Then the flip side is . . .

what tool was a bad idea but you're STILL living with it ? I want my Estwing leather handled rip hammer but I just can't seem to kill off the chintzy Vaughn claw hammer I bought 20 uears ago. Feel guilty spending money on the new one when the old still gets it done. Or am I just cheap ? Or poor ?

It has nothing to do with the quality of the saw itself though the quality isn't what I expected.

The reason I hate my table saw so much is because it was a bad decision on my part. Its too big for my shop and there is nothing that I can do with it that I wouldn't prefer to do with another tool, aside from ripping, which I could happily do on my bandsaw.

Its more me just being angry with myself for making a bad decision, but I like to take it out on my table saw.

But just so you know Frank, the reason I don't mention the brand of my table saw, which you may remember what it is, is because I don't want people to think I am knocking said brand. I just don't like the tool in general and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't even buy a table saw.

Still it has more to do with my personal situation than the tool itself.

Sounds like a real animal. :rofl: BTW, tablesaws, in general scare me.

Rockwell 7.25 circular saw...no matter how I bound the blade the bushing would not allow me to cut a straight line on anything...used it finally for tree trimming or pruning...totally a POS....worst ever tool...sleeve bushings never more....

Ryobi spindle sander, bought the first one the store brought in when they 1st came on the market, and for $319 :eek:. Within 5 hours of use over about a couple of years the main drive belt broke. Dealer ordered in a new $10 replacement. The secondary belt that drove the oscillations broke a couple years after that. Got a replacement but the metal bushing or pulley? that the belt rode on was worn out. Metal bushing on a metal post! I gave it away last year! Thats the second Ryobi tool that failed under light use. Never want that brand occupying a spot in my workshop, ever!

Well I was so dumb I went to one of those Black and Decker Outlet stores. Talk about buying junk. I bought a refurbished Black and Decker jig saw. You guys complain about them not cutting to a line. Ha, mine would not even cut!!

The saw never worked right, and in fact it would not hold the blade in no matter how tight I tightened the set screw. It is such junk that when I was doing a job that required a jig saw, I found out the only way the blade would be held in place was to put it in backwards and cut backwards. Now that my fellow FFWer's is telling you something is junk.

Surprisingly, I agree 100% with you. I almost replaced my table saw hoping that a better one would make me like the tool that so many other people seem to need. The thing is, I realized I have been doing this for so long that I am not going to change my habits. I'll always have one, but I'll keep a crappy one around for the occasional ripping I do. My go to machines are my Radial Arm Saw and Bandsaw. Ten times more versatile and take up far less room

Just thought I would post this so you don't feel alone about your distaste for the primitive tablesaw.

Ryobi spindle sander, bought the first one the store brought in when they 1st came on the market, and for $319 :eek:. Within 5 hours of use over about a couple of years the main drive belt broke. Dealer ordered in a new $10 replacement. The secondary belt that drove the oscillations broke a couple years after that. Got a replacement but the metal bushing or pulley? that the belt rode on was worn out. Metal bushing on a metal post! I gave it away last year! That's the second Ryobi tool that failed under light use. Never want that brand occupying a spot in my workshop, ever!
Fascinating. Just goes to show you that one mans junk....
I purchased the Ryobi OSS at the orange borg when they were discontinuing it (for $39 :eek: - regular price was $99) and I'm quite pleased with it. Have had no problems in over 2 years. It does not have a tilting table, and it probably is slower that the higher level machines, but for $39........ works OK for me!:thumb:
Sorry your experience was so negative.:(

Surprisingly, I agree 100% with you. I almost replaced my table saw hoping that a better one would make me like the tool that so many other people seem to need. ......

I find that so funny... in an odd sort of way. I understand that everyone has different needs and styles of working. I understand Stu and his limited space not liking a table saw. But I can't imagine not having one. It and my RAS are my go to machines. Bandsaw is used a lot too, but I would hate being without a table saw.

But lots of people are nuts about the router. I have a nice big PC that I like. But I rarely use it. It's one of those tools if I can do it some other way I do. Router is my last choice. Much rather use my shaper (that scares so many people).
:dunno: We are a peculiar people!

A Kunz bench plane.
And i'm a hand plane guy.
This thing was pure frustration to use, creating more work each time i tried to use it. Poor craftsmanship, cheap materials, BAAAAAD ergonomics (cause no one's ever figured out how to make a good hand plane before) all lead me to use it as the sacrificial anode in my electrolysis tank. There's simply not much of it left to frustrate me any more. And, it did it's part to restore a handful of older high quality tools, including one that took its place on the workbench.
Sometimes justice is sweet.
Paul Hubbman

I have two tools that really couse me unneeded stress. The first is a ryobi 1/4" shank router. The shaft has a bad habit of self adjusting while in use. The other is a black & decker mouse detail sander. The main problem with this is the lack of places to get replacment sandpaper. Plus not being vairable speed makes it a pain when working on softer woods.

I find that so funny... in an odd sort of way. I understand that everyone has different needs and styles of working. I understand Stu and his limited space not liking a table saw. But I can't imagine not having one.
In my shop in Toronto (Shed 2), I have a table saw (a General 650) and quite like it, but in my shop at Pellow's Camp (The Shed), I don't have a table saw and find that a can make do without it and the fact that I don't have one there does not slow me down that much. So, I regard a table saw as a nice to have frill. :D

A Craftsman top of the line spray gun, or so they told me. It was somewhere around 1970 and cost about $130 which was quite a bit back then. Sears still had a good reputation so I thought that I was safe. I had never sprayed before so I though that it was my fault that it would not work correctly. I took it to a auto paint supply place and the guy there said that the gun was defective but they could not fix it as Sears used nonstandard sizes for all of their guns. He told me to do myself a favor, through it away and start over. He sold me a Astro gun for $40 and it was great for a cheap gun. Even I could use it and get OK results with very little practice. Since then I have stayed with the major brands and even though they are expensive are worth the money I feel. But I still have that old Astro and use it from time to time, mostly for primers.

Hey Frank, just curious about your opinion. I remember before you got your saw you were planning on getter the 350 but ended up getting the 650 do to some deal or something.

So now that you have had the 650 for a while would you still prefer to have the 350? I ask you because I actively sought out a left tilt saw(because I believed all the hype), and now it is one of the decisions I regret most.

Hey Frank, just curious about your opinion. I remember before you got your saw you were planning on getter the 350 but ended up getting the 650 do to some deal or something.

So now that you have had the 650 for a while would you still prefer to have the 350? I ask you because I actively sought out a left tilt saw(because I believed all the hype), and now it is one of the decisions I regret most.
I bought the 650, not because of the left tilt, but because the dust control port was on a better side for the layout of my shop. I find the the left tilt is OK even though I was used to right tilt. The tilt direction really does not seem to matter one way of the other to me.

A Kunz bench plane.
And i'm a hand plane guy.
This thing was pure frustration to use, creating more work each time i tried to use it. Poor craftsmanship, cheap materials, BAAAAAD ergonomics (cause no one's ever figured out how to make a good hand plane before) all lead me to use it as the sacrificial anode in my electrolysis tank. There's simply not much of it left to frustrate me any more. And, it did it's part to restore a handful of older high quality tools, including one that took its place on the workbench.
Sometimes justice is sweet.
Paul Hubbman
I think Paul wins the prize for the most creative use of a junk tool. :clap: :p

I bought the 650, not because of the left tilt, but because the dust control port was on a better side for the layout of my shop. I find the the left tilt is OK even though I was used to right tilt. The tilt direction really does not seem to matter one way of the other to me.
Well my the thing is, I just don't like the table saw in general, but had I gotten a right tilt, I'd just get a sliding table and be happy with it. After my second shop extension is done of course. But now I find myself using or looking for other tools to do all of the things that I bought my table saw for in the first place. In the end, it will be a dedicated rip saw and that is about it.

To Steve Clardy, I have one of those folded metal planes, but it was free so I don't count it as a mistake. If I payed even a dollar for it though it would have been too much.

That said, I do use the piece of junk when I need to make a quick caul or something.