Can you ID this OSS?

Jeff Horton

Receive photos from the owner last night. Trying hard to find someone that can take this from Detroit to Arn Fest outside of Chicago next week.

Anyway, anyone ever seen one of these? I can not find out anything on it other than it labeled as Motor City Machines, Detroit.

oss1.jpg

oss2.jpg

Jeff, I can't help you with an ID, but it looks like you have yet another project coming your way if you can find transport to Arn Fest?

My that’s a serious spindle sander. I don’t see how it oscillates other than cranking up & down on the spokes. I think that would get old real fast.

Maybe I’m missing something with that small motor sitting on top. :dunno:

I have stumped the band. No one has seen one of these. One thing we talked about (on another forum) is wondering if it was a metal working machine? It appears mighty heavy for a spindle sander. Even for an old machine.

As for the oscillating, that is supposed to be driven by the smaller motor sitting on the table. It attaches to the arm on the right in the photo. What and how it works from there I am not clear. I have more photos but I can't figure it out. I can see a couple of chains beside the column that I can't explain but assume are part of the lifting mechanism.

However it may not matter. I was hoping to get it Ruckered from Detroit to North of Chicago in the next two weeks for Arn Fest. I have a mortiser coming down and it could hitch a ride down with that. But doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe I can find someone coming south latter on that get it closer to me.

Looks like I struck a deal on this one. I found someone that is willing to drive out of their way and pick it for me on his way to Arn Fest. Another buddy is going to Rucker it down to Chattanooga where I will go pick it up and a very old mortising machine. These were the last two machines I have been looking for and are the hardest and typically the most expensive machines on my list, when you can find them. So needless to say I am excited. My shop will be complete once these are restored.

................. These were the last two machines I have been looking for and are the hardest and typically the most expensive machines on my list, when you can find them. So needless to say I am excited. My shop will be complete once these are restored.

How long do we give him guys? :D:D:D

I'd say in less than six months after he has finished these two machines, there will be another piece "Old Arn" in need of some TLC, a great machine and a great deal that good old Jeff could not "Pass up" :thumb: :D

Good luck with these two machines, but I VERY much doubt they will be the "Last" machines :D :rofl:!

List of infamous last words:

o 64K of memory is all a computer will ever need.

o I'll just eat one cookie.

o You'll probably feel just a little pinch.

o Yes dear, you do look like you've put on some weight.

o My shop will be complete once these are restored.

:D

:huh: <Jeff rereads his post>

Jeff Horton said:
My shop will be complete once these are restored.

Where did I say I wouldn't buy anymore? You guys are reading things into that that I didn't say. :dunno: I just said my shop would be complete.These are the last two machines I really need in the shop.

Stu said:
....a great machine and a great deal that good old Jeff could not "Pass up"

Your absolutely right. If I find a restorable Unisaw for $150 I would jump on it and made a dedicated Dado machine out of it. I would still like to have a nice belt sander/desk sander combo machine. But, those are just icing on the cake. I just said the cake would be baked. ;) I didn't say it was decorated.

Seriously the only other thing on my list is the sander combo machine but I am not looking for one. If one come up close by I might buy it. But I am not even looking. I would never pass up a deal I could make money on!! I have done that a couple of times.

The biggest thing on my actively looking for list is a couple of Stanley planes.

My reply to this thread was one that was lost in the crash, so I will try again.

I got the word that the machine was picked up and loaded on Bob's trailer headed to Arn Fest! It should be sitting on the grounds of The Illinois Rail Road Museum as I type this. It and the Wysong Mortiser will make their way back to Chattanooga, Monday I guess.

Will work out a day to get get them. I REALLY need to find a better way to store my wood and get rid of this big wood rack. It's just wastes space and with these two new ones coming in I guess it's time to tackle that last corner of the shop.

List of infamous last words:

o 64K of memory is all a computer will ever need.

o I'll just eat one cookie.

o You'll probably feel just a little pinch.

o Yes dear, you do look like you've put on some weight.

o My shop will be complete once these are restored.

:D

The most (in)famous, "There is nothing left to invent." By a former head of the U.S. Patent Office.