Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood Rack Done

Wood Rack Done

Thanks guys the 1/2 pipe worked great.

Put 3/4 PCV over the pipes.

Holds 140 boards 8 ft long by 18 inches wide (2 boards side by side)

Plus can put up to 8 sheets of 4x8 plywood in behind.
    Even left room for paint cans above.

Have to use a ladder to get to the paint. This rack is BIG

Put 8 wheels under it, guess what to much weight wont move

Oh well, need to build something to cut down the weight, then it will move.

There are 3 views

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Wow. Excellent place for all that wood. Way to go.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Good looking rack Bob. Sounds like that you need larger and higher rated wheels. If you can figure how much weight you can store on the rack you could compare that to the rating of the wheels.

Nice Rack (Pun Intended as well) 3/4 PVC over 1/2 Steel, I would not have thought it would fit? Great that it did.

As for the not rolling.... I see you have rubber wheels and NO bearings, That would constitute the problem. Need hard wheels and bearings at the axle for such a heavy load. Bigger is better

Yes you have a Full Rack (Thats Hunter talk sense Deer Season has started) indeed and as always any storage area soon fills and needs enlarging. (as is proven by the rather heafty stack in back.

Thanks for the posting and pictures, Got my feeble mind thinking I need something like that...

Looks great Bob - mine is very similar and I do have some heavy duty wheels with ball bearings. It's heavy, but I can move it.

BTW, very unfair to have such uniform size lumber stacked in there so neatly. Wait a year and when you're trying to fit a hundred boards of all different sizes and species go back and look at your pictures. If you're anything like me it will bring a tear to your eye and a wish for the good old days.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

ok bob, you have committed the heinous offense of both too much and too nicely stacked wood in one post, and the woodworking higher powers have decreed that yon wood rack shall remain stationary until such time that you have lightened the load and/or messed up the shop a bit by using up some of that lumbah.

Nice design and better execution. I'm jealous of you mobile rack guys, I think mine will be wall mounted cause I won't have room to shove a wood rack around in my shop.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    I think mine will be wall mounted cause I won't have room to shove a wood rack around in my shop.

Thanks guys,.........should have went the extra mile on better wheels.

Ned, this design was a copy cat of someones elses. With
    some modications.

It was also a long hard decision on wall mounted vs roll around. In my case the roll around won out sort of, as the wheels wont turn.

1.) The reason I didnt mount to the wall, figured the walls could not hold the weight and pulling the wall in.

2.) This way if I want to change machines etc around, not committed to design problems. As it was not intented to move around the shop, just for major changes if there were to be ones. If you saw the size of my shop, the rack took up 1/3 rd. My suggestion is give it some deep thought.

3.) If I had it to do over again.....wouldnt, Think this is the best design going. Back side FLUSH to the wall. YEA!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    .Wait a year and when you're trying to fit a hundred boards of all different sizes and species go back and look at your pictures. .
    Good try.................No tears here. Look at picture #3

See the back door, that is lean too wood shed. It can hold about 10,000 board feet STICKERED.

The reason for the rack inside, as I can work on the wood rack, that is season to the shop. Went the rack gets low, will bring some in from the wood shed and let that season in the shop.

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation. No Tears here

What are you making out of all this wood.

It looks like reclaimed stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spare View Post
    It was also a long hard decision on wall mounted vs roll around. In my case the roll around won out sort of, as the wheels wont turn.
    That is one of the best ones that I have heard in a while. I got a good laugh out of that one. At least you made me feel good for the night.