Wood Rack Done

Bob Spare

Thanks guys the 1/2 pipe worked great.

Put 3/4 PCV over the pipes.

Holds 140 boards 8 ft long by 18 inches wide (2 boards side by side)

Plus can put up to 8 sheets of 4x8 plywood in behind.
Even left room for paint cans above.

Have to use a ladder to get to the paint. This rack is BIG:eek:

Put 8 wheels under it, guess what to much weight wont move :doh::doh::doh:

Oh well, need to build something to cut down the weight, then it will move.

There are 3 views

HeritageCollection087.jpg
[/IMG]
HeritageCollection083.jpg
[/IMG]
HeritageCollection081.jpg

Good looking rack Bob. Sounds like that you need larger and higher rated wheels. If you can figure how much weight you can store on the rack you could compare that to the rating of the wheels.

Nice Rack :thumb: (Pun Intended as well:rofl:) 3/4 PVC over 1/2 Steel, I would not have thought it would fit?:huh: Great that it did.

As for the not rolling.... I see you have rubber wheels and NO bearings, That would constitute the problem. Need hard wheels and bearings at the axle for such a heavy load. Bigger is better

Yes you have a Full Rack (Thats Hunter talk sense Deer Season has started) indeed and as always any storage area soon fills and needs enlarging. (as is proven by the rather heafty stack in back.

Thanks for the posting and pictures, Got my feeble mind thinking I need something like that...

Looks great Bob - mine is very similar and I do have some heavy duty wheels with ball bearings. It's heavy, but I can move it.

BTW, very unfair to have such uniform size lumber stacked in there so neatly. Wait a year and when you're trying to fit a hundred boards of all different sizes and species go back and look at your pictures. If you're anything like me it will bring a tear to your eye and a wish for the good old days.:rofl: :D

ok bob, you have committed the heinous offense of both too much and too nicely stacked wood in one post, and the woodworking higher powers have decreed that yon wood rack shall remain stationary until such time that you have lightened the load and/or messed up the shop a bit by using up some of that lumbah.

Nice design and better execution. I'm jealous of you mobile rack guys, I think mine will be wall mounted cause I won't have room to shove a wood rack around in my shop. :D

I think mine will be wall mounted cause I won't have room to shove a wood rack around in my shop. :D

Thanks guys,.........should have went the extra mile on better wheels.

Ned, this design was a copy cat of someones elses. With
some modications.

It was also a long hard decision on wall mounted vs roll around. In my case the roll around won out sort of, as the wheels wont turn.

1.) The reason I didnt mount to the wall, figured the walls could not hold the weight and pulling the wall in.

2.) This way if I want to change machines etc around, not committed to design problems. As it was not intented to move around the shop, just for major changes if there were to be ones. If you saw the size of my shop, the rack took up 1/3 rd. My suggestion is give it some deep thought. :huh:

3.) If I had it to do over again.....wouldnt, Think this is the best design going. Back side FLUSH to the wall. YEA!

.Wait a year and when you're trying to fit a hundred boards of all different sizes and species go back and look at your pictures. .

Good try.................No tears here. Look at picture #3

See the back door, that is lean too wood shed. It can hold about 10,000 board feet STICKERED.

The reason for the rack inside, as I can work on the wood rack, that is season to the shop. Went the rack gets low, will bring some in from the wood shed and let that season in the shop.

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation. No Tears here
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks great, Bob. Looks like you've got enough wood to build a barn (or a VERY big dining room set). My whole stock wouldn't fill one of your rack spaces.

Another thought, got to thinking this morning.

One could do with out the wheels, and build it flat to the floor..........but not attached to the wall. That way one would gain another set of racks for storage.

Also down the line, one could push it to another location.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Drill bit size?

Bob,
What size drill bit did you use for your 1/2" Pipe?

I've got some 1/2" and 3/4" pipe and they measured 3/4" O.D. and 1" O.D. respectively. When I used a 3/4" Forstner or 3/4" spade both were such a close fit to the 1/2" pipe that it wouldn't quite fit in. The same thing happens with the 1" bits and the 3/4" pipe...just too tight.

Suggestions anyone?

Regards,
George

Dunno if a 1/16" over would be too much or not, but maybe try that, if it is, then how about a 26mm or a 27mm as 1" is 25.4mm...?

1/16" is 1.587mm so if 1 1/16" is too much wiggle room then a 26mm bit would be less than 1/16" over 1" and might be easier to get than a 1 1/32" bit.......? :dunno:

I guess you could wiggle the drill as you drill the holes, but then they would not be very accurate would they.....? :huh:

Bob,
What size drill bit did you use for your 1/2" Pipe?
Regards,
George

Used a 3/4 fornster (sp) bit free hand it must of done 1/16 over as every pipe fit great, maybe 2 out of 24 pipes where little slop. Drilled 3" deep x 24 holes........my arm was tired.

Didnt want to jig up on the drill press...............maybe should have..............but would have to make a jig to hold 6 foot long boards.

Thanks

Stu & Bob, Thanks for your replies.

I stopped by Woodcraft and picked up one of each a 13/16" and a 1-1/16" Forstner bit this afternoon. The 1-1/16" is perfect for the 3/4" iron pipe, snug but not too tight. However, the 13/16" is still too tight for the 1/2" pipe. It doesn't really feel any larger than the 3/4" hole. The 7/8" bit leaves a bit too much of a gap. I guess it could work if I added a couple more degrees of angle to allow for it tilting down. It has 13/16" on the shank of the bit but I'll mic it tonight when I get back (got to go to the high school and watch the grandson).

Thanks again,
George