Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I built another shed

I built another shed

This one was a woodshed and only took about 20 hours to build. For those of you who saw previous threads and pictures about Shed 2 (my workshop) and about the garden shed adjacent to it, this shed fills in the small gap that was left on the west side of our back garden.

Attachment 12760

The woodshed is the building on the right. The garden shed is the building on the left and the three-roofed building in the middle is my shop. I think that the new building (sort of) adds some symmetry.

I will submit another post in this thread showing how the woodshed was constructed.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-20-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank,

Is it the shorter shed with the dark roof line to the right of all your buildings? Did you just build it...after coming back from Pellow's Camp?

Looking forward to the construction pics.

Frank
    Why not build hall ways to all the sheds, make one shed
    Dinning room, one living room, one sleeping room etc

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

I took these notes as I was building the place.

As well as serving as a woodshed, the building will hide the inevitable junk that we collect.

First, here is a before view of the area where the shed is to be built. It will be right beside the enclosed garden that used to be occupied by strawberries –and which will, next year, be occupied by strawberries again.

Attachment 12761

The shed will be long (about 3 metres) and skinny (about 50 centimetres) and quite high for the other dimensions (about 230 centimetres at the front). It will be enclosed on three sides but the front will be open. It will be designed to hold a single pile of wood in the bottom portion with a shelf near the top for storing boxes of kindling.

The structure will be supported by four posts each, in turn, held in place by a metal post supports. This following picture shows a post support being driven into the ground:

Attachment 12762

The new shed will have the same pine board and batten siding that was used on the other two sheds. The wood is inexpensive, fast to install, wears well, and looks good. I pre-stained the boards:

Attachment 12763

I learned from the mistake I made when constructing the shop shed , and this time put shellac on the knots before staining the boards.

The floor of the shed is going to be some interlocking brick from the sidewalk that I removed from the front of the house. In this photo, I am excavating a bit of soil to make room for limestone screenings and bricks.

Attachment 12764

I cut notches into the posts to hold vertical boards. The really long and really strong blade on my jig saw made this task quite easy:

Attachment 12765

A chisel was also used.

In spite of taking lots of care to measure and determine to proper location of the post supports, one of them was a couple of centimetres out of position . It was possible to overcome this by notching the post and driving in a wedge in on the opposite side:

Attachment 12766

The three lower cross pieces on the back wall are simply there to provide something into which the boards and the battens can be screwed. I cut a 2x4 into three pieces to provide these. The upper cross piece is a 2x4 because it needs to support a shelf:

Attachment 12767

I’m pleased to say that all the sides are square and all the posts are dead-level.

Attachment 12768

I’m not pleased to admit that I goofed when cutting the notches for the 2x4 cross piece in the rear wall. I forgot that the back posts were to be longer than the front posts and, so the notches on the front and rear posts did not align. It was necessary to cut new notches into the two rear posts in order to accommodate a second 2x4.

Attachment 12769

Attaching the siding, the roof, and laying the floor were all very easy and very fast tasks which I completed today. And here I am starting to pile firewood in the shed:

Attachment 12770

The box on the shelf is a simple one made with butt joints from leftover 1 inch by 12 inch pine boards. I plan to make several such boxes and to use them to store small cutoffs and kindling both on the top shelf in the woodshed and near the stove in the shop.

Since this shed was so simple to build, so inexpensive, and so useful, I plan to make another one. It will be hidden in behind the one that I just built and will be about the same length but twice as wide and slightly higher. I might put a front door on part of the still-to-be-built shed. It will be used for firewood storage, for wood storage, and for partly completed project storage.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-20-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Frank,

Is it the shorter shed with the dark roof line to the right of all your buildings? Did you just build it...after coming back from Pellow's Camp?

Looking forward to the construction pics.
    That's the one and, yes, I just built it.

Greg, You will be pleased to know that, nowhere in the construction, did I use and Festool sanders.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spare View Post
    Frank
    Why not build hall ways to all the sheds, make one shed
    Dinning room, one living room, one sleeping room etc

Because, Bob, my building permit for Shed 2 does not allow it. I did not need building permits for the other two sheds.
    Cheers, Frank

Nice shed, Frank. Will you be building a deck, similar to the one on the left of your shop, around the shed? It would tie everything together and it looks like you have quite a few boards leaning up against you shop that could be used....

I believe I told you that I got my Rotex 150 and Deltex 93 based on your comments and the post you made about refurbishing your deck...and the cabin thread. They have worked very well, and I will soon be using them to do some sanding before I paint the exterior of my house. Thanks, again.

Nice shed, Frank. Will you be building a deck, similar to the one on the left of your shop, around the shed? It would tie everything together and it looks like you have quite a few boards leaning up against you shop that could be used....
    :
    Thanks Greg and no, there will not be any more deck.

I believe I told you that I got my Rotex 150 and Deltex 93 based on your comments and the post you made about refurbishing your deck...and the cabin thread. They have worked very well, and I will soon be using them to do some sanding before I paint the exterior of my house. Thanks, again.
    No, I didn't know that -I should get a commission from Festool, you are one of a few people who have bought Festool stuff based upon experience. I trust that you will continue to be happy that you bought the sanders.
    Cheers, Frank

I'll talk to Bob Marino and see what we can do for ya....

Here's the post.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...39&postcount=1

If you don't put a deck up, are you planning any stone or other material on the ground. Having something firm to walk on when you're hauling wood back and forth would be sure be good, especially if you get much rain.

Frank, you need to slow down. You''re making us young guys look bad.

Nice job on the shed. And a thorough narrative, as usual.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com