Dust collection hoods for equipment

Wes Billups

I am hoping those that have central dust collectors can help determine the best way to hook my newly installed 6" duct work to each tool. My plan is to use a 1-2' piece of flex between the ridgid duct work and the tool but I'm having trouble deciding how to hook the 6" flex hose to the tools. I'm guessing the best method is to use HVAC registers in the appropriate sizes.

I'd love to get some recommendations and even better yet would be pictures of everybody's methods.

My main concern now are my Unisaw, Delta jointer, and mitersaw. I've got some ideas on the miter saw by doing a search but would love to hear of any new ideas other's may have.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

P.S. I don't really want to buy the Delta parts as they are 4" and 5", respectively. Plus they are insanely expensive.

Wes,

I used a 6" HVAC pick-up on my Jet table saw. Replaced the 4" and it really sucks. I might have to do something different if I ever go to an overarm guard, but for now that works. I think you could also modify a similar 6" for your jointer, but not sure. I am using a 4" on my 6" Jet and with my Clear Vue it has enough suction to take care of the chips. I'm still working on a solution for a miter saw so if you figure something post it for the rest of us.

Here's the solution I used in my shop. My miter saw bench is attached to the common wall between the old and new sections of my shop. I wanted plenty of infeed and outfeed support.

09fMSBench.jpg

For dust containment and collection, I built the following assembly around, below and into the wall behind the saw. I cut a 4" round hole at the bottom of the lower section and used a 4" HVAC elbow to connect to a piece of flex feeding the DC.

09hMSBench.jpg

Works great!
:thumb:

I have the same question.

My new Grizz G0593 8" jointer has a 4" connection. The output chute is about 8-10" square.

My Laguna HD16 BS also only has a 4" connect which actually has some blockage across the output port on the machine.

Like most everyone today I am running 6" mainline from my DC into the shop. I really hate having to constrict the suck down to 4" at the machine.

I wish the company that makes all these things http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustFlangeHoods.htm would figure out that they could be selling a bunch of 6" stuff. Note: I am only posting the Peachtree Woodworking site as an example. All of the vendors sell exactly the same stuff which is made in a factory in Taiwan.

What is someone actually came out with a PVC type pipe that was designed for DC. I think they could clean up.

So I am going to use HVAC hoods also.

Last edited:
There are as many different ways to manage dust collection as there are those of us making suggestions. ;)

When I was first working with Oneida to plan my Super Gorilla installation, they suggested an 8-7-7 wye on the DC and using 7" for the first few feet on each run. Then, drop to 6" for the main runs and 5" for the drops to the machines, taking 5" all the way to the 4" machine port. This arrangement is to reduce the resistance in the duct. I've started connecting my machines in this manner and can't imagine any better dust collection.

:thumb: