Its almost official....

John Dow

Former Member (at his request)
Had a job interview on Tuesday.... Should get a hard answer next week, and given past experience I'm optimistic I'll get hired back.

This is where I worked before, about three years....
View attachment 12774

And this is the one where the new job is....
View attachment 12775

Same observatory owns the two, though they're on different mountains.

Looking forward to getting back to work so I can get some rest!:D

I lifted the pics from their website and shrunk them a bit. Maybe should have just linked them. Have to try that one day.

Last edited:
Cool...you'll be near one of my old stomping grounds. I spent a couple summers working in the White Mountains. Beautiful part of the country.

Matt - first one is at Kitt Peak in AZ, second one is closer to NM, outside of Safford AZ. As far as I know, all the scopes in Cloudcroft are optical. Radio is nice 'cause every other week you get to work during the day - we rotate so no one gets stuck on nights perminently.

Shift is seven 12 hour workdays making an 84 hour week - then 7 days off - which is how I can swing it living in NM. Commuting time will end up being about 14 hours for a two week period, maybe more if the weather is bad...

Best part for me, both when I worked at Kitt Peak and (hopefully) at Mt. Graham is, as Vaughn mentioned, the country around the sites. Can't beat the forrests we get out here in the desert. There's even a few fish around if you know where to look :thumb:

Wow. How cool is that!?! I certainly hope you get the job as I think you should have the pleasure of working in such awsome surroundings.

Way cool John. Good luck on that! Does this mean you won't get to live in the house you just built?:eek:

Nah, just away every other week. I think Jean and I get along better when I'm always coming and going.... gives her a week to forget about all my faults :rofl: