Titan Chuck.......?

Stuart Ablett

OK, I think this is a no brainer, but I thought I'd check with you guys first.

I have the Nova G3 chuck, I really like it, but it is smaller than the Super Nova 2, and I'm finding that I would like the extra capacity and stable qualities of a larger chuck.

g3_chuck.jpg
The G3 that I have

super_nova_2.jpg
Super Nova 2 a medium chuck

nova_titan.jpg
Super Nova Titan, a big chuck

I have three sets of jaws.....

nova_2_inch_jaws.jpg
The 2" jaws that came with the G3 chuck

nova_3_inch_bowl_jaws.jpg
these beefy 3" bowl jaws

nova_3_inch_long-norsed.jpg
and these 3" long nosed jaws.

Now all three sets will fit on the Super Nova 2 chuck or the Titan chuck, but I would think that with the Titan, I'd be looking at getting another set or two of larger jaws (the Titan 3 hole jaws are not really made for the G3 chuck).

So you see it seems to me the only real question is to skip the medium sized Super Nova 2 chuck and just get the Titan, or should I get the Super Nova 2 and wait on the Titan?

My thinking is that the Super Nova 2 and the G3 kind of overlap, while the G3 and the Titan do not......?

Thoughts and comments please!

Cheers!

What are you planning on turning Stu, or perhaps I should ask, what is the maximum capacity of your lathe? I remember reading about it way back when, but I have CRS. I think you have a DVR, right? I use my Oneway Talon with the #3 jaws to turn anything up to 16" or so with good results. That might be exceeding manufacturer recommendations, but I don't know, since I didn't read them. :eek: But I do know that I have been able to do it, and with some pretty aggressive cutting, without losing pieces off the lathe. Of course, if you need another tool, you need another tool, there is no question about that!

Bill

yes Bill, I have the DVR 3000.

Well this is the thing, the Titan might be over kill, right? Not that I don't mind a little overkill :rolleyes: :thumb:

Tod the Titan will take the standard jaws that came off the G3 chuck, so it will go down to the same small size as the G3, but it will go a LOT bigger too.

One of the problems I'm having now, is that say for box making, I can't stick a square piece in the G3 chuck much over 3" square, so I have to put it between centers, turn a tenon and then chuck it up, with the larger capacity, I could run a larger square piece in the jaws without having to do the tenon thing, know what I mean....... :eek:

Hmmm, one more thing, I'd not thought of, they do sell a 4" jaw set that will work on the G3........

nova_4_inch_jaw.jpg
4" Jaw Set On G3 Chuck

Square Stock Mode
Min 2.205"
Max 3.031"
Expanding Mode (Usual round tenon)
Min 3.819"
Max 4.646"

Same Jaws on the Super Nova 2 chuck yield the same results.

But on the Titan Chuck

Square Stock Mode
Min 2.205"
Max 3.425"
Min 3.819"
Max 5.039"

As you can see this gets confusing, but, if I have the Super Nova 2, then I can run the 5" jaw set.....

nova_5_inch_jaws.jpg
5" Jaw Set

SuperNova2

Square Stock Mode
Min 3.032"
Max 3.819"
Min 5.000"
Max 5.787"

Maybe all I really need is the Super Nova 2.... :huh:

I do not really plan on turning HUGE things.....yet.... :rolleyes:

I see the Super Nova 2 at Woodcraft for $170, and the insert for another $25, while the Titan is about $270, with insert at Amazon (don't see if for sale at Woodcraft... :huh:) so the difference is about $75.... :dunno:

Aw man.... :doh:

I found out that Craft Supplies is having a sale, it would be 20% off the price, and, they have the basic SuperNova2 chuck for $169.99 and the basic Titan Chuck for $164.99 YIKES! :eek:

Both will need the $24.95 insert, but now that they are basically the same price.......which one do I get :doh:

Haven't you just answered your own question? I assume the 5" jaws work on the Titan as well with even larger square/expanding dimensions? The BIGGER for LESS! But wait....wouldn't the Titan cost more to run?:rofl:

Stu, of the two, I'd get the Titan. I ordered a new SN2 when I ordered my Mustard, but it had considerable runout. At first I thought it was the adaptor, but it turned out to be the chuck. I know, these things happen, but for the price... Anyway, I returned it for a refund and ordered the Barracuda4, and I have not regretted it one bit. Here's my main point: The B4 is a large chuck like the Titan and based on the kind of turning you do I think you'll be money ahead to go big.

One thing of note on the B4 for the curious. The SN2 (and I assume the Titan) has a set screw to secure the chuck to the spindle so it won't accidentally spin free when you stop the lathe. This can be especially critical on larger turnings. The B4 does NOT have this feature (and that's the only negative I've found w/this chuck).

Thanks for the feedback fellas! :wave:

So it looks like I'm going with;

Titan chuck
Titan Power Grip Jaws
Nova Power Grip Jaws

With these two jaw sets, I should have everything covered.

Power Grip
Expanded Mode
Min 3.74"
Max 4.567"

Square Stock Mode
Min 2.165"
Max 2.992"

Titan Power Grip Jaws
Expanded Mode
Min 4.961"
Max 6.181"

Square Stock Mode
Min 3.031"
Max 1.252"
Yep, just pulled the trigger......

Cheers!

Hola

Hello Stu,
last week I was in Minnesota. I went there to take
a course about wind power plants.
When I was in St. Paul I was looking
for a titan chuck. Given the course schedule
I was unable to make my buyings.
It seems that you made an excellent buy.
I am very interested to know how much did you pay
for the chuck and its jaws.
Many thanks in advance
Alfredo

The Titan chuck is on close out at $164.49, the Titan jaws too at $66.49, and you need the insert for your lathe spindle, they are another $24.99

Total is $255.97 minus 20% ($51.19) so the price is $204.78, or there abouts.

I also got some other things, like some Wine bottle stoppers (yeah, I'm going to FINALLY do some :rolleyes:) and the Oneway Safedriver, which I like very much for spindle work.

Take advantage of the sale, 20% off is great!

Cheers!

I am late to this thread but I think you made a good purchase. I also took advantage of the 20% off sale and bought another SN2. I like the interchangability of the Nova jaw sets. I have the Powergrip jaws but I never put them on. When I need to I just start turning blanks between center and put a spigot on each end for box blanks. Sometimes I do mount the larger jaws so I can grip a short piece of wood and turn a spigot without damaging the end with a drive center point or a live center point. Most of the time I use a cone center in the tail stock so I don't damage the end with a point.

By the way Stu, I have started using spigot jaws which has a slightly longer jaw length and are serrated. They grip the spigots most tenaciously.

Thanks for the feed back Mike.

Let me tell you, I was real tempted to just buy both, and be done with it, but the budget really could not take that kind of hit this month. :doh:

I'm sure the SN2 will be on sale again at some point, but the Titan looks to be on clearance.........:dunno:

Cheers!