Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Red Eucalyptus Stuff

More Red Eucalyptus Stuff

I finally took some time tonight and set up my photo rig, so I thought I'd show a few pieces that I've finished lately. These are all made of ironbark red eucalyptus, finished with wipe-on poly, then buffed.

First, a little vase that's about 4" tall and 2 1/2" wide. Nothing real fancy going on in the wood grain...the pith is centered in the bottom, and it was a small diameter branch, so the sides are a combination of sapwood and heartwood. In hindsight I would have changed the proportions a bit, but it is what it is.

Attachment 1225 Attachment 1226

Next, a goofy-shaped little pot, about 4" high by 4" wide. I'm not real happy with the form, but it's a pretty piece of wood with some curl here and there.

Attachment 1228 Attachment 1229

And lastly, here is a little 2" by 4 1/2" bowl. The foot's a little wide, but it has a lot going on in the wood, so I figured I'd take advantage of the 10-pic limit and show a lot of different views of this one.

Attachment 1230 Attachment 1231

Attachment 1232 Attachment 1233

Attachment 1234 Attachment 1235

This red eucalyptus is spoiling me. I've gotten accustomed to the wild grain patterns. Tonight I turned a bowl out of some dried cherry I picked up this weekend, and although it's a nice enough piece of wood, the cherry was boring compared to the red eucalyptus.

Thanks for looking...comments and critiques are welcome.

Gee that sure is nice wood, I too like the first and third ones, the second one is nice wood, but you are right the form is a bit off.

Thanks for sharing!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That is some awesome wood. Where did you get it? What speed do you turn it? Very nice...and the "goofy little pot" is cool too! The darker spot and the curves give it some character.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    That is some awesome wood. Where did you get it? What speed do you turn it? ...
    The wood was a freebie broken branch at my office a few months ago. Actually, it wasn't quite free, because I used it as an excuse to buy a chainsaw. Speed-wise, it depends on the diameter of the piece -- RPM doesn't mean as much as surface speed -- but since I'm still running with training wheels on, I'm usually somewhere in the 800 to 1200 RPM range. After reading some comments here and elsewhere, I'm going to try speeding things up a bit, but I lean more towards the slower speeds right now. (Too young to die just yet.)

Thanks for the compliments, BTW. I'm still learning, for sure, but it's a fun education.

cool lookin` pieces vaughn!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Very cool Vaughn. Keep up the good work and thanks for all your efforts on the site.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Vaughn,
    Those are great pieces, don'tcha love turning Euc. It's one of my favorite woods to turn.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

The bowl is my favorite of the three. I really like the grain patterns of the wood. I've never seen Eucalyptyus around here. Is that some sort of coniferous?
    Jim

Looks like the set up is working well Vaughn. I love those vases. My first bowl will be one of them little ones like that... when I get around to it! Nice job.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
    The bowl is my favorite of the three. I really like the grain patterns of the wood. I've never seen Eucalyptyus around here. Is that some sort of coniferous?
    It's a coniferous with leaves, and it's used quite a bit around here for landscaping and windbreaks. Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus

In addition to the ironbark red stuff that I got at the office, I've turned one bowl out of another, lighter species (haven't tied to look up the specifics) that I got from a neighbor. It wasn't nearly as interesting-looking as the red stuff. I've been keeping my eyes open for more of it.

Thanks for the compliments and comments, all.