toy box

How much does that lid weigh? :eek: Those are two huge chunks of ash serving as cross-braces. Tod's boy is going to earn some Popeye arms. :rofl:

very nice colour and shape, Tod.

Tod

That is a great toy chest, err fort in disguise -- what are you going to do when he wants some gun ports cut in the sides! :rofl::rofl:

All kidding aside, that is a great piece which will see lots of use in future generations

Jay

That's a beauty, Tod. I don't know how old your son is, but I'll bet he will learn to work that lid real quick. I built one for my oldest daughter at the Bolling AFB wood hobby shop when she was 2 yrs old from 3/4" AC ply that was 2' x 2' x 48" with similar feet as yours and painted it white except for the lid which I padded on top with 2" foam rubber and covered it with red naugahyde so it could also be used as a seat. Needless to say, it wasn't child proofed either, (hadn't even heard of that back then).:rolleyes: We put it in the Den and put all her toys in it the night I brought it to the apartment. The next morning while the LOML was fixing breakfast and I was getting dressed for work, she went into the den and managed to open that thing and get two toys out all by herself, (which came as quite a shock to us),:eek: and she never did pinch a finger or drop the lid on her head or anything. Less than a week later, she went to the end of the box and after several aborted attempts, lifted the lid and pushed it fully open against the wall and climbed into it to play with her toys inside it. One of our neighbors, who was a doctor at Ft. Belvoir, and his wife were so amused, he went out and bought a movie camera and filmed her several times opening and closing the lid and getting her toys.:D I think most kids are pretty quick learners, and I DO believe in protecting them, but I'm not sure that we don't do them a dis-service by over protecting them too much, and not letting them have a chance to learn to be careful from minor scrapes when they are little so they don't do foolish things "without thinking" as they grow older, that could get them killed.

Last edited:
That's a nice toy box Tod. I agree with what the others have said, "a few days work" might be a bit of an understatement though...at least for me.:)

I also agree about protecting our kids too much. Considering the fact that I grew up on a farm, it is truly amazing that I am still alive. I remember being 5 years old and playing around the sawmill while my dad and uncle sawed lumber. It was no bandsaw either, a big old Lane 52 inch rotary blade sawmill that fairly dangerous.

Now that I have a baby girl, there is no way I would allow her to play around any sawmill, but I don't over-protect her either.

Hey tod....nice Ash.

Got to get around to making one for my Grandson (due 11-18-07) but I got a crib to get done first.