Buffet/bookcase finally finished

Seems like I've been working on this forever, but its finally done.

LOML wanted a piece of furniture that would store cookbooks, hiding the really ugly ones, and provide a place to keep a hot casserole or two next to the dining table I built last summer. It had to have the same finish the table did.

Since it was in our New Mexico faux-adobe style house, I wanted to work in some local detail. The frame and panel door is filled with salt-cedar twigs. The top panel is arched to echo the arched nicho that is above the piece.

All the wood is walnut. The carcass is joined with dovetails. Back is tongue and groove. The top is tile framed with wood. The trim is homemade. The finish is yellow dye, burnt amber glaze, red mahogany glaze, several washcoats of shellac between finishes, and Behlen's rock hard varnish.

Thanks to Jay Knoll for tips on installing knife hinges!:thumb:

Attachments

• buffet.jpg
    buffet.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 98
  • buffet1.jpg
    buffet1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 68
  • buffet2.jpg
    buffet2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 125
That piece is absolutely perfect for that spot and fits the decor to a T. It looks like that it was designed and built just for that purpose-------I wonder why. A #1 job Jesse.

Feels good to do a perfect job on an important project, doesn't it?

Allen

Jesse,

There is NO WAY I'm letting Doorlink she that. She'd dump me faster than you can say Giovanni Battista Cipriani. ;)

That is truly a splendid piece...

Thanks,

Bill

Great job Jesse!

Some posts ago, I told you I would be interested in seeing some of your work, now I must say that you fullfilled all my expectations.:thumb:

BTW What about the table that appears on the pic? Did you make it as well??