Buffet/bookcase finally finished

Great job Jesse!

Some posts ago, I told you I would be interested in seeing some of your work, now I must say that you fullfilled all my expectations.:thumb:

BTW What about the table that appears on the pic? Did you make it as well??

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I made the table, here's a thread from back then
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3638&highlight=dining+table

The wood and the finish on the buffet were chosen to go with the table.

How's your chair coming? Haven't seen any pics for a while?

Hi Jesse.

Great looking table, I like its simplicity, the yellow dots on the top are true dowels or is there a screw underneath?

As far as my chair is concerned, I'm glad you've asked, I'm half way through, in fact I'm going to start posting pics tomorrow if I can downsize them tonight.

I've done some mistakes while making it that I will post as well, :( but we all learn from mistakes, don't we?
Besides, I'm not ashamed of posting them, after all it is my first chair build ever.

Wait and see, I look forward for your comments and from other fellow woodworkers.

Hi Jesse.

Great looking table, I like its simplicity, the yellow dots on the top are true dowels or is there a screw underneath?

As far as my chair is concerned, I'm glad you've asked, I'm half way through, in fact I'm going to start posting pics tomorrow if I can downsize them tonight.

I've done some mistakes while making it that I will post as well, :( but we all learn from mistakes, don't we?
Besides, I'm not ashamed of posting them, after all it is my first chair build ever.

Wait and see, I look forward for your comments and from other fellow woodworkers.

Hi Tony,
Thanks again for the nice words. The pegs in the table are structural, not just hiding screws. The problem with a table is that the wood on the table will grow and shrink along its width (if the boards run the length of the table). So if you want something to hide the endgrain of the boards, you have to allow for wood movement. So the main part of the table has a tab that sticks into a groove in the board at the end, we call them breadboards for some reason?? The tab has a few slots in it. All the pegs but one are driven through the top of the breadboard, through a slot, and into the bottom of the breadboard. As the table grows and shrinks, the pegs ride through the slots. The peg in the center goes through a simple hole and is glued.

I agree that we learn from mistakes and you are kind to share yours. Sometimes I think that I have made so many mistakes I should be much smarter than I am.:doh:

Looking forward to seeing your chair.

Hi Jesse.

Thanks for the thorough explanation, now I've learned new woodworking vocabulary, so they are called "bread boards" :huh: I'll remember that.

Hi Jesse.

Thanks for the thorough explanation, now I've learned new woodworking vocabulary, so they are called "bread boards" :huh: I'll remember that.
Here is more information on breadboard ends. I believe (but I'm not certain) the name originates from using this type of construction for the large flat boards used by bakers for making and kneading bread.