Thread: Some Future Boxes....

Some Future Boxes....

Well, I've not had a lot to show for myself as of late, been busy with various small, but time consuming things.

I did get to clearing up some old chunks of wood I had laying around, they were all quarters, or even eighths of round pieces, that were cut offs from bowl blanks. Being the free wood scrounge that I am, I could not toss them out, and I'm glad I did not.

I cut them up as blanks for boxes

Now I know some will say that my lathe is for making stuff round, and it does that well, but, by using the Phoenix, I got two nice pieces out of some of the chunks, bonus!

Attachment 12808 Attachment 12809

Only if you have not had a bandsaw that will cut circles, will you appreciate one like I do, when you finally have it, and can cut circles

Attachment 12810
    Now I got to wait a while, they seems to still be a bit wet, they measured out at 9% on my moisture meter, so I'll give them a little while to dry some more, but should make some nice looking boxes, the wood is the Cherry I've made some bowls from.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,
    I have never appreciated having a BS until I got the Rikon 14" delux last year. Having one does make it a lot easier.

Chuck

Stu, you are cutting these box blanks so the grain is running from top to bottom aren't you? I mean, you can turn boxes from wood with the grain running side to side but they will not be as stable as boxes turned from end grain wood- grain running top to bottom.

None of my business really, just curious.....
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stafford View Post
    Stu, you are cutting these box blanks so the grain is running from top to bottom aren't you? I mean, you can turn boxes from wood with the grain running side to side but they will not be as stable as boxes turned from end grain wood- grain running top to bottom.

None of my business really, just curious.....
    Yes Mike, that is correct, top to bottom, and PLEASE don't be shy if you see me sticking my foot in it, PLEASE point it out!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That Phoenix must be one heck of a bandsaw...it even cut the tenons on the ends of some of your blanks.

Is that gray twin-tank thing in the background a vacuum reservoir?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That Phoenix must be one heck of a bandsaw...it even cut the tenons on the ends of some of your blanks.
    Hey, you can't hide quality machinery. When you got it, flaunt it....
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

You bet Vaughn, the Phoenix even does the kids homework, it's THAT good!

Yes also to the vacuum tanks, going to be posting on that soon too, all I can say now is that it REALLY sucks!
    William Arthur Ward

I am not going to even touch that one

The blanks look pretty good Stu. Should keep you out of trouble for a few hours.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey Stu,

From the amount of blanks you've made, I gather that you're truly hooked on turning boxes!

If you're iching to turn them, you might want to hollow them out so they dry quicker.

-Gari