Tool cabinet structure . . .

steve mackay

Once more into the unknown ! Just brainstorming. Without building seperate structures like commercial tool chests with a " mid-cabinet" and " top-cabinet" how do we support the upper level drawers over the full-width drawers in the middle ? I'm still working out " theory " in my head so my terms are probably lame !

Attachments

• ROLLAWY.JPG
    ROLLAWY.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 101
40+ inches is pretty wide for a drawer. Have you considered making those two center drawers into a set of four? I think this would work astheticly as well as structurally(?)

Attachments

• ROLLAWY1.JPG
    ROLLAWY1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 43
Was afraid . . .

I was going to hear that so I kinda left it out. In my mind's eye I had planes on the bottom with the weight spread out between three draws and my heart set on two saw drawers in the middle section.

If you really want the 'look' of two drawers you could build the drawers narrower (32" is about the max) and use false fronts to get the look. This of course 'wastes' space but does give you the look you want.

For what it's worth Steve, I think Glenn's four door version looks more aesthetically appealing, but you are the artist, so in the end, you should make what YOU like.

That said, I think Glenn's idea for the false door fronts is probably your best bet if you want to get the strength you are looking for.

I have no affiliation with Glenn or Glenn's ideas. All my comments are based on my opinion and I receive no financial rewards for stating them.

Once more into the unknown ! Just brainstorming. Without building seperate structures like commercial tool chests with a " mid-cabinet" and " top-cabinet" how do we support the upper level drawers over the full-width drawers in the middle ? I'm still working out " theory " in my head so my terms are probably lame !
Hi Steve, :wave:
Don't stop short! You want 40" drawers, then have 40" drawers:D.
I think Glenn's design is quite nice, he is good at that stuff.
Back to the 40" drawer. I have a piece of furniture with 1 - 41 1/2" drawer on the top. 4 drawers below that, each 20 3/4" + or - ,and then 2- larger drawers below those, also at 41 1/2". It can be done and you can do it!
This is the wondrful thing with designing and building it yourself, you can do it!!!!
Support is the correct term. My thinking is either support it from the top, suspended, or support it from the bottom of those compartments with a worthy member.
You can do it just like you drew it.:D:D:wave: Think outside the box, whatever that means!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Mr. Schaubhut . . .

Good Lord, thank you ! THATS the push over the berm ! Had a revelation last night. If I could " sneak " a " lintel " ( maybe in the form of a frame ) over the two wide drawers them hide it behind wood faceing. Hmmmmmm. Wondering if this would be cheating enough to keep me up nights.

You could put sliding dovetails in for the verticals, which would lend the support from the top. Another idea is to make a thin torsion box for under the drawers.

OK, I'll show my butt here . . .

torsion box ? Your right. I had wondered how they do the old drawers that hold Printer's type. Seen a lot of them in antique stores now-a-days but never turned one over.

Glenn, Allen, and Ed offer advise worth considering.
Looking at your initial drawing on a semi split screen:eek:, it looks like you could ............................lower the bottom drawer fronts to leave about a 1/2" above the base.........................., then space the two long drawers equally between ( A ) the top of the large bottom drawer fronts and ........................................the ( B ) bottoms of the upper small drawer fronts. Considering you are only leaving 1/8" space between the upper drawers. I think you should continue the spacing between drawers all the way down................picking up enough space to add a "lintle" ( Good word you used! ) that can be hidden behind the drawer front itself.:D
You can, you can:thumb: