Shedua box....

Mike Stafford

Shedua is easily one of my favorite turning woods. It turns somewhat like mesquite and finishes up beautifully. I was able to get several large sticks of it a while back and whenever I feel like self-indulgence I chuck up a small piece and turn a box from it. It does have a rather funky odor while you turn it though...

Here is a box 2 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" in diameter. Comments and criticisms appreciated...

Attachments

• Shedua4comp1 (600 x 785).jpg
    Shedua4comp1 (600 x 785).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 76
Outstanding, Mike!

I'm not usually a fan of boxes (maybe 'cause I've never done one?) but I love the form of this one. It makes me want to give 'em a try.

Another pretty box. Mike. The form is reminiscent of a jar my grandmother had on her dresser when I was a kid. I thought it was cool then; I think it's cool now. :thumb:

Mike that is really nice, makes me almost not even want to post my efforts.....:eek:

Sure is nice looking wood, and the form is really cool, I like the way the rim goes with the lid, I would have guessed it would stay with the box, certainly neat!

Mike, this is really a very nice looking lidded box, with a perfect bead on the lid.
Very well executed.

Hey Mike,

Great looking box, as is the wood! :thumb: If I we're to critique it, I'm not sure if I do or don't like how the base looks like it comes to a point, rather than having a solid foundation for the base. It makes it look slightly unstable. It's probably just the angle but I thought I'd throw it out there, trying to be objective, rather than the atypical 'it's perfect' response. :)

Anyway, I'd have it oin my collection anyday! :D

Thanks everyone!

Gari, the box does not come to a point. I guess it is a function of the camera angle that makes it appear to be so narrow on the bottom. In actuality the base of the box is about 1 1/8". I suppose it could be a little unstable but the way most people use boxes like this is to collect dust. It is a two handed box as the lid fits such that it has enough of a suction fit that you have to hold the base to remove the lid.

I appreciate your comment though. It helps my design sense to receive food for thought...