Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: first lathe on the way

first lathe on the way

I made a somewhat impulsive purchase today - Amazon (through Timberline Tools) had the Delta mini for $139 plus shipping ~$40. The same buddy who pointed me in the direction of this deal offered to hook me up with a 5 piece Buck Brothers chisel set to get started with once it arrives. I hope Bill Grumbine has videos in stock at the Robust party (hint, hint).

I'm planning a trip to the nearest (but definitely not local) Woodcraft store next week mostly to browse, but also to buy some link belt for my bandsaw - are there any chisels that would be worth considering?

Congrats Mark on the Delta. You will like it. I had one and gave it to my nephew to get him started turning. As far as tools go Pinnacle, Sorby, Ellsworth, etc. are all good tools. I started out by buying some Benjamins Best tools from PSI because I didn't want to ruin any $100 tools learning to sharpen. One thing you will want is a Wolverine sharpening jig or a sharpening jig to sharpen your tools. That is the key to turning is properly sharpened tools so they are sharp. Good luck and by the way both of Bill's DVD are awesome.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats, Mark. I've read good things about that lathe, so it should serve you well. And when you upgrade to a bigger one down the road, you'll still be able to find uses for the little one, I'll bet.

Hitch up your boots, the ride's just beginning. Plan to spend some more money getting set up, but it's money well spent. My slide into the Abyss started with an Amazon purchase too. (The Wilton mini lathe...I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.) You'll look at fallen trees in a whole new way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Ken........... we got another one.......!!!

Whoo-Hoo!!
    Congrats Mike, take Bernie's advice and get that jig, makes a world of difference.

Good luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Excellent news. Good luck. I have some Pinnacle gouges they work great & not as expensive as my Sorby's.

Chuck

PSI Turning accessories

there you go amigo. Guess I know whose shop we're gathering in next week for the 'turnathon'!

quite the steal on the lathe, good job!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Mark. I've read good things about that lathe, so it should serve you well. And when you upgrade to a bigger one down the road, you'll still be able to find uses for the little one, I'll bet.

Hitch up your boots, the ride's just beginning. Plan to spend some more money getting set up, but it's money well spent. My slide into the Abyss started with an Amazon purchase too. (The Wilton mini lathe...I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.) You'll look at fallen trees in a whole new way.
    you aint just whistling dixie, I know where some birch logs are , drove past them two days in a row, first time by accident, 2nd time to see if they were still there. a lot big for his little lathe though... 2' to 3' in diameter. what's the swing on that delta?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    you aint just whistling dixie, I know where some birch logs are , drove past them two days in a row, first time by accident, 2nd time to see if they were still there. a lot big for his little lathe though... 2' to 3' in diameter. what's the swing on that delta?
    Ned, that is what chainsaws are for!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Ned, that is what chainsaws are for!
    yeah, spotted one of those on craigslist the other day 16" Poulan for $50
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 09-22-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    -Ned

I saved some crotch wood from a free maple that I harvested recently for turning stock. I measured the pieces today and I think most will fit as is, and some others may need some creative bandsaw work first.