Inside Out Ornament WIP

Stuart, you're an amazing guy. But this result is gorgeous. I would brake my neck, with trying to do this, your glue up idea, if I may call it that way, anyway in fact it is, brought me on the idea to try this sometime.
Nice for Christmass time? :thumb::wave:

Ad, it is NOT my idea, I copied it from others, in fact, our own Curt Fuller has a good write up on how to do this technique.

Yeah, now I can do it, that hurdle is over, now I have to work on making it look pretty! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Stuart, I told you that you brought me on an idea.
Christmass is not so far away, just a couple of month to go.
Before I forget my idea, I worked it out, and here is my fiddling work.

Hey Stu, are you sure that's really wood? Looks paper thin to me! Good job on getting it finished up. I'm sure you'll be entering contests soon with them!

Yeah Robert, you can bet I'll be tweaking the design, staying puckered that long is not healthy :rolleyes: :rofl:

Ad, here is you pic, I think your problem was that the pic was over 800 pixels tall, which is over the limit, I reduced it a bit......

ad_inside_out_pic.jpg

Neat idea, now can you tell us how you would make this?

Cheers! :wave:

Stuart, a lot of thanks for your help, I'm a newby so I have to learn.
After taking a break, by having a Rhine river cruise next week to Cochem in Germany, and that will be a fun trip, on German terms, ''wein, weib und gesang'', I tell lateron more about the making procedure.
Have fun, and take care.

Ad

Stuart, of course I will take a lot of pictures, and when I'm back I post some.

Cheers to you too. Have a good time.

Stu,
I'd try to turn it in 5 pieces. The center spindle would be turned as a separate piece. It should be turned thin where it meets your hollowed spheroid to hide the glue joint. You also need to leave a taper to the inside surfaces of the spindle (where they meet the top and bottom of the inside surface of the sphere) so that it follows the spheres inside curves.

I guess you could use paper joints to glue the 4 pieces back into one after the initial turning. Then turn the sphere to finish and drill a hole the right diameter in each end. Once the holes are drilled, you can separate the sphere into two halves and complete the assembly.

I'll have to try this one for our club's Christmas ornament challenge this month.

Take care,
Dick

Stu, that is a nice project. Mighty fine effort too. I was just reading about inverted turned pieces the other day. Looks like you can also get the kids involved on bigtime doing some decorating and stuff.