Thread: NON LIM Breakers?

NON LIM Breakers?

I am shopping for some 20 amp breakers for my soon to be installed 220v service. I see non lim (which I assume means non-limiting) breakers and 'regular' breakers. The non lims carry a different part number and are about $2 more. Cost is not the issue I am just not sure what I am looking at. The non lims also specify "for replacement only". What's up?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Glenn,
    This is another area in which I am no help. Wish I had an answer for you as you have been so helpful to so many. Oh well, It will come around, just stay with it...
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Glenn... from another forum.

"If you are using the breaker for standard residential application, the non-limiting is usually standard.

The limiting type opens (cuts the power) to the circuit much sooner than a non-limiting type when overload/short is detected. If you are trying to protect sensitive items like computers, medical equipment, high dollar electronics or if you just want a breaker that will trip/open within the first cycle of overload and offers a higher level of protection, go with the limiting type."

I've never dealt with them myself, but this sounds reasonable to me... Sure the "non limiting" are more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Sure the "non limiting" are more expensive?
    I just may have that backwards price-wise. The bulk of the breakers at Lowes were not marked and about 4 out of 40 types were marked as non-lim. Does everybody run "regular" breakers for their shops?

TIA
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke