NON LIM Breakers?

glenn bradley

I am shopping for some 20 amp breakers for my soon to be installed 220v service. I see non lim (which I assume means non-limiting) breakers and 'regular' breakers. The non lims carry a different part number and are about $2 more. Cost is not the issue I am just not sure what I am looking at. The non lims also specify "for replacement only". What's up?

Hi Glenn, :wave:
This is another area in which I am no help. Wish I had an answer for you as you have been so helpful to so many. Oh well, It will come around, just stay with it...:D

Glenn... from another forum.

"If you are using the breaker for standard residential application, the non-limiting is usually standard.

The limiting type opens (cuts the power) to the circuit much sooner than a non-limiting type when overload/short is detected. If you are trying to protect sensitive items like computers, medical equipment, high dollar electronics or if you just want a breaker that will trip/open within the first cycle of overload and offers a higher level of protection, go with the limiting type."

I've never dealt with them myself, but this sounds reasonable to me... Sure the "non limiting" are more expensive? :huh:

Sure the "non limiting" are more expensive? :huh:

I just may have that backwards price-wise. The bulk of the breakers at Lowes were not marked and about 4 out of 40 types were marked as non-lim. Does everybody run "regular" breakers for their shops?

TIA