I Learned a important lesson today.

Chuck Beland

Well since I have 4 more ring bowls to do I thought I would first turn them all to finish including the foot. Then I could put back in the chuck to sand them all then put the poly finish on them one after another. Well I did just that & found out after you try to re-chuck it it's out of round at least by a 1/16" It took me by the 2 nd bowl of sanding to figure out what I did wrong.:huh:

I should have made the outside then sanded to completion then do the inside & sand to completion then start another bowl after all bowls were done all I would have to do would be put the poly on. I got 3 all done but the poly started. I used the expansion jaws to grip the good size opening & I had to use my small Sorby round scraper to try to true the inside again. For some reason the scraper dug in a bit & bowl came out of the jaws. all I did was ruin the foot I should be able to re turn the foot & finish the bowl.

I was just a bit disgusted with myself so I shut the light off & came on here.

Who wants to dry my tears & wipe my nose :huh::doh::rofl:

Chuck

Don't sweat it. We've all "been there, done that" at one time or another. :D

Just wait until you leave a bowl half-finished on the chuck overnight and come back the next day to found it is out-of-round due to drying/warping. That's a real kicker. :huh:

Chuck I have found another thing when I put a dried bowl back on the lathe before I take it off I find jaw #1 of the chuck. I then put a line on the bowl that is centered on the #1 jaw. When you put the bowl back on in the same place and line up the line on the middle of #1 jaw if the bowl is dry it should run true. If it is a green bowl all bets are off. Been there done that like Neal.

Then I would put a line on the bowl that is centered on the #1 jaw and when you go back with the bowl it should seat in the chuck that same as it came out. I learned this from a old turner and it works for me. They seem to run pretty true for me.

Chuck, we all make some mistakes, the next time you will do better.
Lucky for you that you are able to repair the foot.

I do something similar to Bernie, except I write 1 2 3 4, corresponding to the chuck jaws, all the way around the bottom of the piece. I can generally see the jaw marks, so as long as I have the right jaws in the right slot, it reduces the out of roundness. (Of course sometimes, no matter what you so, ya just can't get it re-chucked perfectly.)

You did the right thing to walk away for the evening, Chuck. ;) You'll learn new salvaging skills in the morning. Sometimes the recovery is as rewarding as the piece itself. :p

And I see you have a Murphy Scraper, too. One of those that cuts flawlessly all day long, until you're doing a final, baby-soft cut, then BAM! it catches. I've got one of those myself. :doh:

Thanks Guys & gal for the info. Especially Nancy for blowing my nose.:rofl:

I've learned that when I screw up it's usually spectacularly & I remember what I messed up so I don't ever do it again. That's how we learn by messing up. From now on I definitely will number the jaws.

On the ring bowl & bowl for my dad what I did was put all five coats on the bowls while it was still in the chuck that took 3 days for each one so I had no chuck to use for all 3 days. Important lesson learned I need more CHUCKS:D

Chuck