Good Quality Grinding Wheel Recommendation?

Bruce Page

I’m looking for recommendations on 8”X1”X1” grinding wheels. I bought some blue wheels from Woodcraft a couple of years ago that I have never really been happy with. They wobble and the course wheel seemed way too soft.
So anyway, what grits, brand, color, do you guys recommend for general grinding with the occasional chisel thrown in?

Thanks

Bruce,

I'd say a good Norton 80 grit white for all around use, but--unless you have a way to really balance them and assure the washers on both sides are true you may have a wobble problem with any you buy.

Bruce,

I'd say a good Norton 80 grit white for all around use, but--unless you have a way to really balance them and assure the washers on both sides are true you may have a wobble problem with any you buy.
Cecil, balancing shouldn't be a problem, I just got the Oneway balancing system. I've been messing around today balancing the blue wheels and decided to upgrade. I took a drive over to Woodcraft to buy some new wheels and decided I didn't know enough about the subject. :eek:

I've also got the Oneway balancers, and they indeed helped my grinder out.

Bruce, the blue wheels (if my feeble memory serves correctly) are softer than the white Nortons, and I think for general grinding (not turning tools) the white ones are recommended.

In other words, what Cecil said. :)

I got the Oneway wheels to go with the balancing system, and they work well.

I got the #120 and the #80, next time around it will be the #80 and the #54, the #120 packs up and over heats the tools way too much for me.

YMMV :wave:

bruce, i buy my knife grinding stuff from cg schmidt....they`ve got just about every composition of wheel you could ever want from diamond and boron to the softer stuff turners use.........might give `em a call next go-round?

My 80 grit blue wheel came from Woodcraft also. First one wobbled something horrible. They replaced but the current one is still not perfect. I kept it, maybe shouldn't have. They did say they do have a lot returns on defective wheels. It does sharpen fine, though and I wouldn't consider it 'soft'.