Now that I have recent photos, our shop

Al Navas

It has been quite a while since I posted any recent photos of our shop. I have been busy making saw dust, so it was a good time to shoot some pix, before picking up all the clutter.

This will be a short one, as I must get busy and update the blog with some stuff ( http://blog.sandal-woods.com/ ). If you are interested, please see the rest of the photos at the blog in the next few days.

The general setting of the shop is as follows - lots of huge trees, and LOTS of leaves to take up late in the Fall (91 loads, each load = 200 gallons, of leaves, in 2006; thus, must use a cyclone rake):

1-ShopFromYard.jpg

We now move to the inside. Sandy is the resident scroll saw, carving, and turning partner.

1. I decided to start off with bird's eye views of Sandy's area, which comprises the scroll saw, the carving bench and the cabinet for her carving tools, then the lathe area with the sharpening tools.

1-CarvingArea.jpg

2. A floor-level angle on the scroll saw-carving area:

1-CarvingArea-ScrollSaw.jpg

3. The lathe area, with the sharpening station beyond the fiber drum (which contains shavings from the lathe, to bury the turnings in them, and to help slow down the drying):

1-turning-sharpening.jpg

4. Her new sharpening station will look like this:

Sharpeningstation-withTR13032.jpg

5. Some of Sandy's stash of turning blanks:

1-TurningBlanks.jpg

I will post a few more, later.

But, if you get a chance, please visit the blog for the remainder of the photos of the shop, in the next few days . I hope you enjoyed seeing these few pix!

Last edited:
Beautiful setting and very nice shop.
Is that a mallet collection hanging high on the wall?
BTW, I have many nice large trees on my property but don't rake. I let the leaves lie on the ground and just mow over them next spring. I'm not a 'yard' guy. What grows, grows and I mow occasionally. Can't be doing too badly, the deer and turkeys love it but I'll never be accused of belonging to the country club set.

Beautiful setting and very nice shop.
Is that a mallet collection hanging high on the wall?...

Thanks, Frank!

That IS a mallet collection. LOML likes them very much, and will usually bid on them at auctions. Sometimes, though, mallets will be thrown in boxes along for a ride with other tools :thumb:. I have had to (sheepishly) ask for one two, and she complied. Everything in the shop is likely to get used, if we have a need for it.

BTW, I have many nice large trees on my property but don't rake. I let the leaves lie on the ground and just mow over them next spring. I'm not a 'yard' guy. What grows, grows and I mow occasionally. Can't be doing too badly, the deer and turkeys love it but I'll never be accused of belonging to the country club set.

I tried leaving the leaves on the ground, until Spring time. We ended up with a lot of grass getting wiped out under about a 12-inch mat of leaves, and it resulted in erosion on the slopes of the property. So, I try to get them all up before the first snow fall.

As for turkeys - this was just last week:

2007-Sept-10DSC_1995.jpg

And for deer - About 5 weeks ago we counted 21 deer in the backyard! THAT was a sight to behold. Two had racks with 10 points, about 4 (5?) were does, and the rest were this year's babies, we thought. We sure get a kick out of the wildlife all around us!!!

Thanks for sharing, and for looking!